Video out failure

A_Tom

I have been putting together my own computers for years; I've built at least 10 and never had this happen. One of my spare machines did not have a Windows 11 compatible mobo, so I purchase a replacement with TPM (Asus Prime B360M-A) so I could use it to test Windows 11. It was not new (half priced), but I understood it to be new, just an item with damaged packaging. Yesterday, I removed the cpu, cooler, ram, and nvme drive and put them on the new board. It started ok, but I had no video, so today I returned it. Then I decided to reassemble the old components to make sure everything was still working. Now I have no video from it. I have checked the monitor power and replaced the video cable (using D-sub). I also tried the HDMI out on a working monitor, but nothing. I have ordered a replacement mobo (same model) and also a replacement cpu (intel i5 6600). My guess is the cpu was damaged installing it and running it on the new board.

Any other thoughts on this? Am I overlooking something obvious?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you got a motherboard at half price then most likely the motherboard was damaged, most likely cpu slot. The bad pins could have damaged the cpu. Did you get it from a Microcenter store? You really got to be careful about those open box purchases.

A_Tom

If you got a motherboard at half price then most likely the motherboard was damaged, most likely cpu slot. The bad pins could have damaged the cpu. Did you get it from a Microcenter store? You really got to be careful about those open box purchases.
I bought it on Amazon. Lesson learned.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
On Amazon full priced they are 79.99, so if they were offering it at half price, thats a red flag for me. Normally open/renewed merchandise is only 10-20 bucks cheaper then regular price. Right now Microcenter is offering a motherboard that has damaged pins 45 bucks less then full price. 65.96 compared to 109.99. Needless to say they will never sell it with damaged pins unless someone needs parts from it which is gonna be hard to remove anyway.