Video Ram for Future Dual Monitor Set up.

64bits

Hey,

I've got an i7- 3770, 12GB Ram, 2TB HDD, AMD 7870 2GB, running on a 24 inch LED monitor ( 1980x 1080)

I was thinking of adding on a 2nd 18.5-19 inch monitor (1366 x 768) as an auxiliary screen for light programs which at the most would be watching a show/movie or comparing documents while my main screen would be running a game ( not crysis 3 & all those gpu intensive games) say Dragon Nest/ Tera/ DmC.

Would 2GB of Vram be enough to run both screens smoothly? My current load gaming temps is averages at 58 degrees celsius, occasionally spiking up to 65. While 36 - 40 on idle. How much higher will the temps rise with a 2nd monitor added and does this affect the lifespan of the graphics card?

jonnyp11

Temps shouldnt rise but a degree or 2, memory is the issue, but as long as you arent gaming on it too or running the movies during a game there should be 0 issues AFAIK

Christian Darrall

I have a GTX260 with two 18" HD moniters it only has 800MB of VRAM and that manages to play crysis 2 and a HD film on the other with no lag, the only problem ive found doing this tho is GPU temps do rise, so the best thing i would suggest is to run a normal video along with a high graphical game and just see what the temps are. if its ok try bigger and more intensive :D

BTW my other rig is a AMD phenom x3, GTX260 (800MB VRAM) and only 3GB ram

Darren

Staff member
You'll be fine. I run a 7850 with 2GB on a 20inch and 17 inch monitor. As long as you're not gaming on both you should be fine and even then you'd still probably be okay.