Video Resolution

joshhazel

I just recently got an adapter for DVI-I to HDMI and have connected my PC to the television.

With a normal PC monitor when you change the resolution smaller (ie from 1024x768 to 860x600) you will likely notice that everything on the screen gets much larger (ie uses same amount of screen space, less pixels).

When I do something similar with my current setup (to my hdtv) and change to a lower resolution it simply uses less of the screen (so i have a bunch of black nothingness) rather than making everything larger (easier to read/see)

Im wondering if there is some method of modifying windows features or some video card feature (i tried going through all the nvidea controls panel) to make things larger and easier to see/read ...

here is my information:

Video Card: NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...x_plus_us.html

TV: Mitsubishi 73" WD-73734
http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...=mncolBtm;rnav

Im using Windows XP btw

joh06937

why do you want to make things bigger? if you want things bigger just try increasing the icon size and the other available sizes.

newgunner

Sounds to me like you just need to resize your TV. Have you tried that? Sometimes when changing the resolution the monitor or in your case, tv, doesn't realize it's not using the whole display. I believe there should be buttons on the TV or the controller that take you to the menu's where you can reposition or stretch the width and height to fill up the whole screen.

joshhazel

Ive never messed around with changing icon sizes etc... where might I find some of these windows settings? (not at home right now to look around) but thinking maybe something under the right click on desktop > appearance or something or maybe the right click my computer > properties > and going to performance or something

joshhazel

Well that somewhat worked ... it makes icons and text and stuff bigger but things like the size of a folder and such still are the same among other things... I dont suppose there is a way to force the system to accept the lower resolution full screen so it makes things appear larger is there?

newgunner

Unless i misunderstood you; what you need to adjust isn't in windows. It's the TV's display that needs to be adjusted/resized to fill up the whole screen thus increasing the size of text, icons, etc. Check out the TV's menu/options and look for display adjustments.

mx344

I havent figured out a way to do that, cause on my 60' sony i use 1366/768 i beleive, and it only uses about 7/9 of the screen.

Why on earth would you want to display a 800/600 on a 73 inch tv it would look like crap.

Fatback

VIP Member
The link to you're TV is broken. I am guessing that it is a projection TV judging by the link. There is really nothing you can do the TV was not designed to be used with a computer. For example my TV has VGA and DVI and when I go to the menu on my 40" TV it has options for setting up my computer resolution. Like stretching the screen moving it left,right,up,down,etc. The only thing I can think of is to find some third party software that lets you do this.