Videography & Video Editing

Ramodkk

VIP Member
I'm into it, I like it a lot but I don't have the equipment, I need a nice glidetrack or something, haha.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah man, a glidetrack adds so much production value to your shots. You tried making your own? I made one over a year ago from PVC pipes and some old skateboard wheels, was pretty smooth, but a real pain to carry around!

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yeah man, this is the one I made, I installed the wheels and everything, but it was way too choppy, the wheels gathered too much dirt and that dirt made it bump you know? Or maybe I just built it crooked lol

5620443049_5824dbb08f.jpg

And yeah I can imagine carrying it around!

But yeah I've tested my K5's video and I really like it, it's not the best but it's a lot better than I expected. Now I just need ideas, time and a glidetrack.

Kornowski

VIP Member
That looks sweet, man.

Yeah, I get you; it's hard to keep it all perfectly aligned 'n shizz. Good thing with the PVC ones is the length, you won't get anywhere near that length dolly with a Glidetrack, so it's great for super long movements. Though a car is often easier, haha.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Should talk to Oscar. He dropped off the face of the earth but is on Facebook a lot :cool:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Oh I know, I talk to Oscar occasionally on Facebook, he does seem to be into his video as of recent!

It's sick man, pretty much ideal; so it's great to have the opportunity to get paid for it and build up a portfolio whilst working on some really interesting projects.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I actually just joined the film club at my school. Should be interesting. Friend of mine likes making shorts. This is one of them:

[ut]irV6GS53qoE[/ut]

spirit

Staff member
Anybody else into videography, motion graphics or video editing?

Yes! I love Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas, and at some point in the future I'm looking to upgrade my Fuji S4000 to a Nikon D3200 or a D5100 (not decided which yet, probably go for the 3200 as it has a newer processor and more megapixels, and it's smaller and lighter) and get an external mic so I can not only take better photos, but better video too.

Recently I restored my parent's wedding video. Ripped it off a VHS to the PC, restored in Premiere Pro CS5.5, and burned it to a DVD. Took me a while to do but the newly restored video looks much better than the VHS original. I've worked on other video projects too.

Kornowski

VIP Member
That's what's up man! When I grow up I wanna be like Danny, haha

Dude, you are grown up, you're 20. I can remember when you were like 17, haha.

I actually just joined the film club at my school. Should be interesting. Friend of mine likes making shorts. This is one of them:

[ut]irV6GS53qoE[/ut]

Dafuq?

Yes! I love Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas, and at some point in the future I'm looking to upgrade my Fuji S4000 to a Nikon D3200 or a D5100 (not decided which yet, probably go for the 3200 as it has a newer processor and more megapixels, and it's smaller and lighter) and get an external mic so I can not only take better photos, but better video too.

Recently I restored my parent's wedding video. Ripped it off a VHS to the PC, restored in Premiere Pro CS5.5, and burned it to a DVD. Took me a while to do but the newly restored video looks much better than the VHS original. I've worked on other video projects too.

Sweet, man. Getting an external mic will make the world of difference, audio is 70% of a video. You can watch a video with good audio and crappy video, but it's near impossible to watch a video with crap audio and decent video.

epidemik

I was really into it early in high school but haven't done much video work since I've been in college. I've been trying to get back into it for a while but it's hard with the lack of time and money these days. I'm thinking about picking up a new DSLR camera this winter though (t3i or t4i or something along those lines).

I guess the other side of it, for me, comes down to getting into the field/community (not quite sure how to word it). I'm getting into kayaking and have been skiing for a while so I'll probably try to put together a few action sports sorts of videos over the next year but I'm wondering how you move beyond that into motion graphics and more commercial type videos?

I've watched a bit of your stuff, Danny, whenever it pops up on facebook. A lot of it is pretty incredible. You've come a long way over the past two or three years :p The website is looking nice and the content on there is really impressive! I'm sure you've posted this somewhere but what kind of equipment are you shooting on these days (mostly wondering about the biking videos)?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I was really into it early in high school but haven't done much video work since I've been in college. I've been trying to get back into it for a while but it's hard with the lack of time and money these days. I'm thinking about picking up a new DSLR camera this winter though (t3i or t4i or something along those lines).

I guess the other side of it, for me, comes down to getting into the field/community (not quite sure how to word it). I'm getting into kayaking and have been skiing for a while so I'll probably try to put together a few action sports sorts of videos over the next year but I'm wondering how you move beyond that into motion graphics and more commercial type videos?

I've watched a bit of your stuff, Danny, whenever it pops up on facebook. A lot of it is pretty incredible. You've come a long way over the past two or three years :p The website is looking nice and the content on there is really impressive! I'm sure you've posted this somewhere but what kind of equipment are you shooting on these days (mostly wondering about the biking videos)?

You're into your photography too aren't you? Yeah, man. A DSLR will be perfect, best of both worlds. Plus, you get that nice large sense for the shallow DOF that you won't get with a lot of dedicated video cameras.

Is it something you want to do? Like you said, just do a few videos of your friends kayaking, or skiing. Look what's out there already, and see what other people are doing. There's two sides of the coin, you can see what they're doing, and do something completely different and hope it'll catch people's attention and won't fall on it's face. Or you can try and mimic certain styles because they're popular, in which case you'd hope people would like it... because it's popular, haha. Once you've done a few short videos of friends and stuff, approach a small company (maybe even people you know), or a club, or some sort of establishment, and ask if you can do a video for them. Be prepared to start doing some (not all, don't want a reputation as being that guy that doesn't value his work, plus you don't want to undercut the professionals and piss them off) work for free - it's a foot in the door. Go from there really! Just build up work, get it out there, show the right people! Get it amongst the community you're working with, on forums etc.

The motion graphics is really just something that started on the side. Experiment with combining it with real footage, you can get some pretty impressive results with relative ease. Though when you get more into the motion graphics you'll need some kind of graphic design ability. I wouldn't be able to do the majority of the motion graphics I have if it wasn't for the graphic designer where I work.

Thanks, man, appreciate it! haha, yeah; it's weird looking at stuff from College and Uni, looked pretty shit in comparison, it's embarrassing, haha. For the biking videos I use my 550D and a Rode Videomic Pro with a 50mm f/1.8, 70-200 f/4 and (I know, I know) the 18-55 kit lens. The IS really comes in helpful for the handheld shots and when on the steadycam - which is killer!

Then in work it's like a wet dream, haha. 60D, Rode videomic pro, wireless lav mics, boom mics, shotgun mics, 24-70 f/2.8 (main work horse lens), 50mm f/1.8, rail system, follow focus, matte box, field monitor, 16ft camera crane/jib with remote pan/tilt head, steadcam, glidetracks and a Sony prosumer camera. Tissue please.

Hope that's helped some. I should have included chapters, sorry, haha!

4NGU$

VIP Member
ooo Can I play, as Danny knows I did Videography for my Final uni project

looking back at it in needs some tweaks and changes but here is the final piece and one other thing i worked on during my final year at uni

bleed
v. bled bleed•ing, bleeds
v.intr.
1. To emit or lose blood.
2. To be wounded: especially in battle.
3. To feel sympathetic grief or anguish: My heart bleeds for the victims
4. To exude a fluid: such as sap from a tree
5. To pay out money, especially an exorbitant amount.
a. To run together or be diffused.
b. To undergo or be subject to such a diffusion of colour. The red cloth bled when it was first washed.
7. To be printed so as to go off the edge or edges of a page after trimming.

This Film By Chris Griffiths Explores the limits of territories and spaces, where the boundaries lie and how the events that take place in one space can carry over and affect life in another

https://vimeo.com/41545261

Time lapse experiments based around the views from my flat window. Mostly generated during rendering time for other pieces of work and during the time i was supposed to be writing my dissertation.

https://vimeo.com/38616775

hope you like em

Kornowski

VIP Member
I really like that timelapse video, Chris. It's really dark, you should do another, get to some good spots around Liverpool. I wouldn't mind doing a 'lifestyle' kinda video shoot.

Did this the other day, footage shot on the jib then editing in After Effects;
https://vimeo.com/54374832

Karimsafieddine

I am into it. I have a blog where I give tutorials for computers and video editing and mostly Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.

I have the canon vixia hf r100 full HD camera (AVCHD)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Why not, haha. It isn't FPS' is it - is it COD footage in slow-mo with really over the top colour grading? haha, there's plenty of that about.