virtual RAM

8721markc

if i have 4gb of physical ram is it worth changing the computer settings and increasing ram (virtual) if so how much should i increase by, also if i have a 3ghz cpu Athlon x 2 can it be over clocked and is it worth it, if so how and what difference would it make?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If you have 4GB I wouldn't bother increasing the virtual memory. I'd just set it to a custom size of 2048MB.

As far as overclocking your processor, that depends on whether you have a custom computer that allows you to overclock, or a locked down OEM computer that can't be overclocked. If you can overclock it, you won't specifically notice a change unless you run a benchmark on it, then you'll likely see a slight performance increase.

Okedokey

VRAM should be set at 1.5x the amount of physical RAM. So in your case 6000MB. Make it fixed as to prevent fragmentation and wherever possible, put on another drive if Windows is on spinning media.

G80FTW

if i have 4gb of physical ram is it worth changing the computer settings and increasing ram (virtual) if so how much should i increase by, also if i have a 3ghz cpu Athlon x 2 can it be over clocked and is it worth it, if so how and what difference would it make?

On a machine that old, I wouldnt exactly worry about overclocking. You can, its just like someone else stated I doubt you would see real life results from it.

As for virtual memory, well, what exactly are you using this machine for? If your only running simple things like a web browser and playing older games then I would actually just turn virtual memory off completely and save your disc space. As long as you arent doing anything that will completely drain the 4GB you have you might even see better performance having it off since Windows will use the virtual memory even when it doesnt need to and it will slow things down. Back in the day when I was running 2GB of RAM I still didnt use virtual memory for this reason.

Okedokey

On a machine that old, I wouldnt exactly worry about overclocking. You can, its just like someone else stated I doubt you would see real life results from it.

As for virtual memory, well, what exactly are you using this machine for? If your only running simple things like a web browser and playing older games then I would actually just turn virtual memory off completely and save your disc space. As long as you arent doing anything that will completely drain the 4GB you have you might even see better performance having it off since Windows will use the virtual memory even when it doesnt need to and it will slow things down. Back in the day when I was running 2GB of RAM I still didnt use virtual memory for this reason.

Dont turn the pagefile off, its a really bad idea. Essentially almost everything this guy says is wrong, so check before following. Better information here...
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

essentially let windows do its job and move the page file to another drive...

Last edited:

strollin

Virtual Memory is a compromise where parts of memory are swapped out to disk when memory requirements exceed the amount of physical memory. This is a huge performance hit (disk access is much slower than RAM access) but keeps the system from crashing during peak memory demands.

If you routinely depend on Virtual RAM then it's an indication that you really need to add more RAM to your system. No amount of tweaking of Virtual RAM parameters will substitute for the need for additional physical RAM.

G80FTW

Dont turn the pagefile off, its a really bad idea. Essentially almost everything this guy says is wrong, so check before following. Better information here...
http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

essentially let windows do its job and move the page file to another drive...

Well, I can just say from experience I have had page file turned completely off for the past 10 years or so and never had any problem. Like I said, having it enabled whether it needs it or not windows will use it and it will slow things down.

I have heard there are programs that dont like having it turned off, but I have never experienced such a program. I use photo editing/audio/video/CAD programs all the time and never had an issue. Even when I was running 2GB of RAM.

I wouldnt say its wrong to have it off or on, personal preference I suppose like most things. I prefer to get the most performance I can out of my systems. And pagefile, especially back in the day when almost every program wanted it, was a major performance killer for me. Now, I think its going the way of the dinosaur considering how cheap RAM is and you can pick up twice as much as you need for dirt cheap.

I dont base my statements I make off of google, I base them off the 13 years or so of experience I have had building computers and the various knowledge I have gained from forums such as this over the years.

If you feel that you need that stability than by all means leave it on. Im not saying for sure that having it off will or will not cause instability, Im saying that it never has for me. But every machine is different in its own respect.

Last edited:

Twiki

What happened to me was old hat so maybe I can get away with it this time. I only wish I remember what proggie it was that made me leave it on.

larsch

VRAM should be set at 1.5x the amount of physical RAM. So in your case 6000MB
Dont turn the pagefile off, its a really bad idea.

Setting it to a static size is better? If he upgraded with 6 GB physical ram instead, would it then be okay to disable it?

Or should you just let it be dynamic in size, so you don't have a fixed commit limit?

G80FTW

What happened to me was old hat so maybe I can get away with it this time. I only wish I remember what proggie it was that made me leave it on.

Well, many years ago when I was first debating on whether or not to turn it off I did read alot saying what has also been noted here that some programs will not work properly without it. But remember, this was 2004 and back then RAM was not plentiful and even that link that was cited was posted in 2008. Today, like I said, when you can pick up 4-8GB like its water depending on what your using it for you shouldnt have to worry about running out of RAM resulting in a crash. Id say if you have 4GB and your not doing a whole lot with it then you should be perfectly safe to disable it. The last time I used virtual memory was back when I had only 512MB of RAM, and this was when 1GB was pretty top end to have. I remember back then you would have to spend damn near $1,000 for 2GB of DDR. Im glad those days are gone.

Having it on will increase overall system stability yes. Provided you are using more than the 4GB installed. If your not, you should be perfectly fine having it off. But like I said, it will also hinder performance whether or not you need it. Because windows will use it if you let it even before it runs out of physical memory resulting in an overall slower machine. The only real use for virtual memory was to prevent your system from running out of memory.

Setting it to a static size is better? If he upgraded with 6 GB physical ram instead, would it then be okay to disable it?

Or should you just let it be dynamic in size, so you don't have a fixed commit limit?

There is no "right" amount to set it to if you do decide to use it. You dont multiply it by anything. If you really want it on just let windows manage it.

Last edited:
I Definitely agree that it wouldn't hurt anything to have it off, I remember one time on XP I ran out of virtual memory (and physical obviously) and it just popped up an error message saying I was out of virtual memory and need to to close some programs or get more ram... I wouldn't call that a crash... I'm sure under the right conditions it could happen, but it's probably uncommon. (and that was on a laptop with 256mb ram)

and I know that ratio was taken from windows (I've seen it before somewhere) but it really doesn't make any sense. The more real memory you have the less fake memory you would need, so virtual mem needing to by 1.5x the real memory makes no sense.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Actually if you have enough system memory. It makes no performance difference if page file is on or not. Its not going to use it unless needed. Plus there will be some of windows data in page file that's not really needed to be held on systems memory. Saying that I don't really see the point disabling it, just because of the few problems it could cause.

G80FTW

Actually if you have enough system memory. It makes no performance difference if page file is on or not. Its not going to use it unless needed. Plus there will be some of windows data in page file that's not really needed to be held on systems memory. Saying that I don't really see the point disabling it, just because of the few problems it could cause.

I dont know about Windows 7, as I havent had it on with 7, but I know with XP windows will indeed use virtual memory before it runs out of physical memory. If that wasnt the case, I never would have turned it off. It might not use as much, but it will still use it.

But I dont think modern programs rely on virtual memory anymore like they used to.

And actually, Windows 7 might still be using page file even though its disabled on my machine:

Im not 100% sure, but wouldnt the paged kernel memory be a representation of this? I was reading, but I couldnt exactly find out if this is paged directly to the RAM or disc. I have to be honest, Im used to the old task manager havent really played around in this one. The old one I remember displayed actual page file usage where this one is displaying the physical RAM usage.

Last edited:

larsch

Those screenshots don't say anything about data being stored in the page file. The paged pool is just memory that is allowed to be copied to the page file, if one is present.

G80FTW

Those screenshots don't say anything about data being stored in the page file. The paged pool is just memory that is allowed to be copied to the page file, if one is present.

I am referring to where it says Kernel Memory (MB) in the task manager. I was wondering if that was actually paged to the disc or directly to the RAM.

larsch

It is about how memory is allocated. Memory can be of either the type paged or non-paged.

If memory is allocated from the paged pool, it can leave physical memory. if allocated from the non-paged pool, it is guaranteed to never leave physical memory.

If you don't have a page file, it will never leave physical memory no matter what.

G80FTW

It is about how memory is allocated. Memory can be of either the type paged or non-paged.

If memory is allocated from the paged pool, it can leave physical memory. if allocated from the non-paged pool, it is guaranteed to never leave physical memory.

If you don't have a page file, it will never leave physical memory no matter what.

Well I guess that clears that up then. :good:

Agent Smith

If you have at least 6 GB of RAM just use 1024 min and max. If your using a platter HDD set the minimum and maximum to the save values to minimizes fragmentation.