Virus and Threat Protection Full Scan Win 10

When I go Windows Security > Device security> Virus and Threat Protection> Scan Options and run a full Scan, it runs for a few minutes and I get this message.

' Your Device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're collecting some errors and then we'll restart for you. (90% done)'
After about 7 hrs, still the same message. I've tried this twice and still the same message.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thank you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming that's a blue screen? If so there should be a code on there as well.

Yes it was a blue screen and I didnt write down what it was.
I will run it again this evening and see what happens.

Thank you for your reply

Ran it twice since yesterday. I'm positive that I'm hitting the full scan, but when I get the results back after a 2 min scan, it said it ran a quick scan with no problems found. The blue screen doesn't show up anymore, to give you that code.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Run this and see if it actually created a minidump file.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Please navigate to the following file and zip it up and attach it to your next reply. I will then try to debug it.

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111120-9390-01.dmp

I just tried to run a full scan again.
That blue screen came up again saying that ' it ran into some errors and will restart for me.
But in your 1st reply above you asked what was the code. It just came up and it was
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

Sorry that it has taken a week for me to reply back to you

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Navigate to that file in the minidump folder and choose copy and paste it to your desktop, then you can zip it up without issues.

DavidG

Probably the simplest way to resolve this if it is a software issue is to run the system file checker - this repairs and replaces any damaged system files. I'm a bit confused your screenshots show a windows 7 desktop but you refer to windows 10. If you are running windows 7 security it isn't an effective antivirus you need a proper AV package. Additionally now that windows 7 support has finished your PC will become more and more liable to hacks and vulnerabilities which won't be patched. You really should update to windows 10, the upgrade path is still free.

To run system file checker under win 7 (or Win10)
  1. Click Start.
  2. Type command prompt in search box.
  3. Right-click on the first item in search results list: Command Prompt.
  4. Click Run as administrator.
  5. Click Continue or Yes on the UAC warning window to allow this action.
  6. When Command Prompt appears, type the command: sfc /scannow.
  7. Press Enter.
Allow it to run and see if it can repair any damaged files. Reboot and run windows updates again to update windows security and then try and run your scan again.

Last edited: