Virus blocking accress to internet

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've given you a couple days to test, has there been any more redirects? Do you have the dell recovery cd's? It's possible that they still have the option to repair the OS instead of just format and installing fresh.

Cybercookie

I have not seen any more redirects in safe or regular mode using either Firefox or Explorer. Explorer is still blocked in regular mode but works normally in Safe Mode. On the other hand Skype works in regular mode but not safe mode. I still can`t update Windows. My headphones work in regular mode but not safe mode.

I bought this computer recently off Ebay and have no CD`s of any kind. I have another computer for downloading onto a flash drive. After the problems started System Restore showed no backups. The computer would not do many things that it does now. Few programs would start and external devices would not work. I assumed this was due to the corruption and/or deletion of the registry. I could be wrong about this. How do I tell if my registry is OK?

All scans I have run lately have found nothing but cookies. Is it safe to assume that all Malware has been removed?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking you are clean now. I would say contact Dell and see if they can send you replacement recovery cd's so that you can repair or reinstall the OS.

Cybercookie

Blue Screen Of Death

There is one thing I neglected to mention. From time to time the computer displays the Blue Screen Of Death. This occurred several times during the cleaning of the computer. It also occurred after your last post. I have not detected a pattern in when this occurs but I had been using headphones before one incident. However, I had stopped using the headphones before it occurred. Is this Windows doing what it does or does it suggest that a virus is still in the system?

Here are some details about the screen. The screen says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to the computer. There is no way to copy and paste this page. The following line appears:

IROL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Three paragraphs of suggestions follow. I don`t see how I can use this information. I have removed most of the antimalware programs I had installed earlier. I could remove more but would not know what to remove or if it helped. The following Technical information appears:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xE56C6936, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804E3120)

Then there is a dump of physical memory and a suggestion I contact technical support for assistance.
When this screen appears the buttons don`t work to restart the computer. The only option I have found is to unplug the laptop and let the battery go down. After this it restarts without any sign that anything is different.

I plan to obtain a recovery CD from Dell as I think this will be needed in any case.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could be a bad driver or failing hardware. I would wait for your reinstallation cd and reinstall windows and see what happens.

Cybercookie

I have backed up the computer as best I can. Some things would not back up. This included parts of Windows as well as a few other things. I don`t understand this but I doubt if it matters. I am afraid reinstalling anything from the infected computer would be unwise.

I contacted Dell and ask for a copy of Windows I could use to reinstall the operating system. They were very nice, especially considering that this is a used computer and I have never dealt with them before. They sent me a Reinstallation CD for Windows XP SP3. I assume this is what I need.

Before I insert the CD and follow whatever instructions appear a question comes to mind. Should I reformat before attempting to reinstall Windows? Since reformatting can always be done latter it is tempting to just reinstall and see what happens.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Whenever you want to do a fresh install, you need to delete the existing partitions, repartition and then format/install.

Cybercookie

I reformatted and reinstalled Windows using the Reinstallation CD for Windows XP SP3. It seemed to go well using instructions from the CD and Ehow. The computer works but will not connect to the Internet. I assume this relates to a lack of drivers. I found the Dell site for downloading drivers using another computer. I downloaded the first recommended driver, Notebook System Software (NSS), onto a flash drive and moved it to the computer I am fixing as a file. Now I cannot get the driver to install. This must be very basic but your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Cybercookie

Thank you again for your help. I downloaded the suggested drivers and all seemed well. Yesterday I tried to play Video from a DVD. It would not play. I went through the troubleshooting guide but nothing there helped. I suspect reformatting deleted the DVD decoder. How do I know if my computer has a DVD decoder? If it does not where do I get one? I will post this as a separate thread if you think that is better.

jmh

These viruses are sooooooo frustrating i just want to scream then cry, It will not let me run a single thing (programe) also wont let me on the internet. Im trying to install antivirus from cd wont let me do that. I have installed the malware thing john suggested to no avail. I have tried the combofix thing also the rkill.exe. Nothing!!! Everything i do it comes up with a box saying that the program or whatever im trying to run, is infected. No S*&% sherlock!!!
I am at my wits end!! Pleeeaase someone help me:mad:

JHM

banned
One neat way to avoid all this crap is do what I do. Put your boot drive in a Hotswap tray, and have a spare cartridge and spare drive ready to swap in if ever there are problems. Then you can format the infected drive and Ghost your OS partition back onto it from the reserve drive after formatting.