Virus on CD

Matevz

I have heavily virused PC. But I wanted to burn few discs before I'll reinstall it since the malware and other things mainly came from the CD burner that I downloaded. I have recorded two cd-s and (because I'm stupid) I decided to check them on other computer that has some important stuff on it. I understood that I might be doing a wrong thing when CD has already been inserted but I have taken it back before computer even fully read it. Is it possible that any virus can be on that computer this way? Idk if that's important but I was recording in safe mode.

Edit: the recorder itself is IMGBurn so there should be no problem with it. Just with the other files that were included in installer.

Matevz

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Chances are the cd is fine, so the pc would be okay. What did you burn to it? But as I said, if you haven't reinstalled windows yet then just run those programs and you'll be cleaned up pretty good.

Matevz

Chances are the cd is fine, so the pc would be okay. What did you burn to it? But as I said, if you haven't reinstalled windows yet then just run those programs and you'll be cleaned up pretty good.

I have burned CD image of an abandonware game. There was some space left on the disc but not much. And nah, thank you. The virus, I'm talking about is "AllRadio". From what I have read - it just installs lots of other viruses over time and that seems correct looking at my PC. I have deleted the core and got rid of 90% of this "software" by using programs or manually deleting files in program files and appdata. It still works really slow without safe mode and I don't have anything important here so reinstall seems safer. I don't want to risk keeping any of these programs. But as I said - I only care about that second PC. You think that it might have something now? I don't see anything odd but I'm kinda scared.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I said the cd is most likely fine. it won't infect new pc without actually running it unless there was an autoplay file for it. Just scan the system with the links I showed you. I help a lot of members with their security/malware issues. Sounds like you aren't sure of how to get rid of malware if all you are doing is deleting files, which you shouldn't be doing. Thats the whole reason that there are very good programs available that will scan your pc and delete the correct files for you.

_Pete_

By the time you have gone through all the junk that these people are recommending it will have been far far quicker to to do the clean re-install. The other advantage of a clean reinstall is that it will get rid of all the left over junk on your computer as well.