Virus or???

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into internet options, click on the connections tab, click on lan settings button, and make sure proxy settings buttons are unchecked.

jjonsalt

"make sure proxy settings buttons are unchecked", they were and are. Before I do something wrong (again) let me ask, could I download the updated program to a flash drive on another computer and use that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try doing the following to see if it resets the internet.

1.Click on Start button.
2.Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
3.Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
4.Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5.Restart the computer.

Do you only use IE to surf the internet? If so open internet options in control panel and click on the advanced tab, click on reset to reset internet explorer settings.

Does the network and sharing center say you are connected to the net?

jjonsalt

I use FireFox as a browser. Should I try IE instead? Although the procedure was successful the Network and Sharing Center shows "Not connected". Would clicking "Diagnose and repair" be advisable?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, try doing the diagnose and repair. Also try uninstalling the network driver and reinstalling it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
For now just update malwarebytes, run a scan and post new logs as I'm not home right now.

jjonsalt

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4656

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18943

9/20/2010 11:51:34 AM
mbam-log-2010-09-20 (11-51-34).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 133263
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

jjonsalt

All seems well. I don't understand how this started in the first place. I don't go to websites WOT doesn't approve or even open email from someone I don't know. Guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks very much.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, there are many ways to get infected. Most likely it was a drive by infection, meaning you must have searched for something and went to a bad page or you are using file sharing software.