Virus Question

spacedude89

ok, a person i know sent me a message on aim that said this "this was cool, check it out" the word this was hyperlinked, i clicked it, asked me to download something, it was a jpg, so i did, i was gonna open it but the icon was a .exe, i though that was kinda suspicius, so i looked around on the internet and supposedly there is a virus going around on the im services. i deleted it and emptyed the recycle bin. should i do anything else or am i at risk in any way?

Travo925

alright...were you using AIM. If so, I had the same issue (but it may be on other IM services also). Ask some people on your buddy list if they have been getting that same kind of message from you. Because the virus will send it to everyone on you buddy list with out your notice, and whoever it is sent to will be infected and begin sending it to other people. All I did was run spybot and cleaned it out. That didnt solve it though, so I deleted my buddy list, and imported that same buddy list from another screen name of mine. It worked.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
if you didn trun the exe then you should be alright. but to make sure run a virus scan, and ask your friend who sent you it, if hes aware he sent you it.

spacedude89

ya, im going to run some virus scans while im away, the person said "DONT CLICK THAT" about 3 minutes later... i guess they were gone or something..

randruff

If you want to, post a Hijack this log and well take a look at it. If you didnt click on the link you should be ok, as was stated above.

Charlie7940

Did you try the AIM Fix link I posted? I've had an AIM virus before where it would send the EXACT same message to everyone on my buddy list. I've also had one where it would automatically put up an away message advertising some golf course.

AIM Fix fixed both no problem...I suggest giving it a try if you have not done so :)