Vista 64-BIT vs 32-BIT

ATCPandemic

Does anyone have any expiriences or knowledge in how a 64bit operation system will improve performance over a 32BIT?
-I know that you need 64bit to support more ram and stuff but will your actual computer work faster ex: open programs faster, run applications faster, turn off and on faster? any help

-Thank You

bomberboysk

If you have more ram it will take advantage of it, plus 64bit is somewhat more optimized than 32bit. As far as general performance on say, 2gb memory, it will work pretty much the same..

AlienMenace

I don't know about slight, but I really did notice the difference about it. Especially when it comes to booting the computer. I don't run Vista, but I do run Windows xp pro x64 and windows 7 x64. I really notice the difference when I do video and photo editing.

ATCPandemic

Thank you for the replies, they were helpful, I checked out that website on Microsoft and found out that it works more efficiently and much faster then 32bit. I also somewhere read that performance wise, unless you are running something that truly needs speed and power you wont really notice the benefit of 64bit besides supporting more ram.

-Thats the information I got, thanks for your help.

fmw

It's all a matter of the software you are using. If you are doing computer aided design or complex floating point math, the 64 bit system will make a noticeable improvement. With office productivity, it doesn't make any difference at all. The larger registers handle things like floating point math faster and the 64 bit OS enables the processor to use them that way. For the majority of users, it doesn't matter.