Vista and My documents

P373R

in XP
i used to be able to order the my documents folder so that i had a folder for:
my work, my pictures, my music, my games, and miscellaneous [other] files

however being new to vista, [ultimate] i have found that the "documents" folder
automatically organizes music and pictures into their designated areas.

my question: in Vista, is there any way to recreate the "My Documents" folder
found in the XP OS's?

brycematheson712

As far as I know, the answer is No, at least not in the way you're wanting to do.

When I first converted from XP to Vista, I hated this as well. It's just all part of learning a new operating system. To be honest though, I actually like it better this way now.

You see, Windows XP used to have a folder called 'My Documents'. Inside that folder were sub-folders such as 'My Music', 'My Pictures', etc. Vista does it differently. It has a folder labeled 'User Name' and underneath that is 'Documents', 'Music', 'Pictures', 'Video', etc. It was hard to get used to at first, but like I said, it actually makes more sense now.

To get over this problem, what I did was fairly simple. In Windows Explorer, I just created a bunch of quick links on the left side that read 'Documents', 'Music', 'Pictures', 'Downloads', and 'Videos'. Whenever I'm in Windows Explorer, those links are ALWAYS there so I can navigate quickly. It's actually quicker too. I don't have to access 'My Documents' folder first before getting the folders I actually want. Give it a try. After using it a while, you'll enjoy it.

Edit: I guess if you REALLY REALLY don't want to switch to the new way that Vista's folders are organized, what you can do is go into your 'Documents' folder in Vista and then just make a bunch of folders yourself labeled, "My Music", "My Work", "My Pictures", and "My Videos". Then, you can create a shortcut on your desktop to the 'Documents' folder.

Hope that helps!

P373R

ok thanks i have noticed these links,
however my user folder is filled with folders like "links" "downloads" and "searches"
slightly annoying, but im sure ill get over it

brycematheson712

Yeah, I hate all those extra folders in there too, like, "Links", "Favorites", "Contacts", and "Saved Games". That's why I use the quicklinks on the left-side panel. I only put the most common folders I access (I have 5), and then I never have to look in the user folder since I always use the shortcuts.

That's how I do it. :)

P373R

hey i should probally open up a new question for this, but its probally not worth it.

can anyone tell me where to find the icons for the folders found in "user"
either that or. how to recreate the pictures folder becuase i deleted it