Vista And Networking Issues??

DanDaMan

I run a IT dept and currently use windows server 2003 for the servers and windows XP Pro for all our workstations now looking to move to VISTA a.s.a.p i have just brought a test machine and going to install VISTA on it for testing reasons before rolling out vista though the group of around 500 machines we have both LAN and WAN.

Now the question is do you know of any issues with vista ie issues with mapping drives. issues with shared printers. etc

Also advantages of it would be nice also so i know the pros and cons and also saves me testing VISTA and getting it rolled out sooner.

Thanks In Advance

Danny Chaplin

Geoff

VIP Member
This isnt anywhere near your situation, but I have Vista on my laptop and when I first got it, I was able to share files and folder between Vista and XP Home and Pro machines very easily, as well as being able to share printers.

wardhanster

well i have vista on a network of 5 computers and i never had the problem of sharing files, never used a printer though but am sure it will not be a great problem too....
my setup includes a laptop connected to internet through a dsl modem and then connected to other pc's through wi-fi sharing onternet and files , this is the way i work it out,
remember to tailor the network and sharing options for your network and every thing will do ..
but i still doubt the capacity of computers vista can handle
i think there is some limitation vista have, of how much computer you can connect over a adhoc network depending on the version of vista you are using, like for home basic is 3 or 5 computers, and for ultimate i think its more .... i dont know how much (plz correct me if i am wrong here)

fmw

The major difference is that Vista makes file sharing a little more complicated in a peer to peer network. The reason is that it shares only files in its public directory while in XP you can share anything across the network. With a domain enterprise network like yours, it won't matter at all. The switch will be simple.

Note that Vista will be replaced with Windows 7 in October. Certainly they will support Vista for several years but do be aware that you will be installing an end of life operating system.