Vista and XP on same Hdd woes

JamesBart

Hey guys,

Right so i have a 160gb hdd in me laptizzy and i want xp on 80gb and vist on 80gb or near enough.

so...

i partition the hdd to 2 80gb partitions and then i install xp on one of them.

i then boot from the vista disk and it doesnt actually ask me where i want to intsall vista it just loads up and asked something like...

do you want to

1. install vista on full hdd

2. install it somewhere else (hehe i forget)

3. install and have a 2nd partition on the drive.

so i chose the 3rd option and i have no XP just vista.

so what is the correct workflow for this and where do you think i could have went wrong?

if you have any questions then just ask :)

andy faith

Probablya good idea to install vista first then xp, xp setup gives you more choice of where you want to put things.

andy faith

yeh i think it should work. That's how it works with other versions of windows, install the newer one first. I did that a while ago, installed 98 then installed xp and it went over 98 so I did it the other way round and it worked fine.

JamesBart

cool man trying that now. so say when i install xp and vista is on there as well... when i boot from hdd it should give me the option to boot from either or?

Cheers :)

colt1911

I'm running a dual boot system at the moment and I was told to put XP on first and then partition my drive and then install Vista. Everything is working fine , I just have to choose which OS I want to boot too when the screen pops up.

JamesBart

i see, so its safe to install full OS on hdd then partition and then install 2nd OS? well letting vista do its thing now so i shall see :)

Thanks guys! keep ya's updated :)

andy faith

partition your drive after installing XP? didnt think windows normally liked that. something like "oh my gosh! what happened? I sware my hard drive was bigger than this? I don't like this... what shall I do? errrr.....I know, shutdown!"

Or something to that effect. I think I got it to work once.

You will always have to choose which OS you use unless you get rid of the menu (silly idea)

JamesBart

well vista is finally on there and now xp is doing its thing! i hate how your hdd is always a little smaller than what it says on the tin! 160 more like 140 :(

haha how miserable am i? i need as much as i can get :)

JamesBart

argh so this is where the problems begin! so i started to install xp on the 2nd partition and when it came to reload itself after installing it then loads but doesnt get past the initial Asus screen and also when i try and access bios it only loads a little and thats it.

any ideas? :(

colt1911

Do you still have it set to boot from the cd? Try changing it to boot from the HD. From my own experience I put xp on first and the Vista . I was told it has to do something with the boot sequence of the two OS's.

Last edited:

kof2000

install xp first, then vista, once vista finishes, install BCDedit manually add xp back onto the boot file. if you want to restore xp you would need to go in vista and uninstall the bootloader.

JamesBart

right so basically whats happened now is when i try and boot my computer it doesnt actually work.

so i load it up and i cannot access bios, it says that its entering SETUP and then loads a little and thats it.

so if i cant access bios i cant change the boot sequence, do you get what i mean?

what can be done?

Also when i dont try and go to bios then the Asus logo pops up, makes its noise and then it keeps doing that and i cannot get anywhere.

also checking out what BCDedit is and how i can use it to help me.#

colt1911

What asus board do you have? Also it might be best to start all over from the begining. Do you know how to clear your bios?

colt1911

Turn the pc off and disconnect power cable, once you have done that there should be a battery about the size of a quarter on your board remove it for about 3 or 4 minutes. If you can get the pc online you can download a program called PC Wizard 2007 and it will tell you everything about your pc.

colt1911

Since you have a laptop it maybe diffcult to get to the battery and it is on the motherboard itself. What is the model of the laptop?

Last edited: