Vista for games?

Zorin

How does vista run games?
I ve heard some comps have problems running games with vista while others run just fine.
So how does it stack up?

PC eye

banned
A good deal of things depend on your hardware as well as software environment. Just having the latest "Bells + Whistles" doesn't necessarily mean a good gaming machine with the new version of Windows out. So far some real older games that might have issues with XP have been running here with Vista as a second OS to XP Home.

With a budget video card(MSI Radeon X1300 Pro PCI-E) and 2gb of Kingston Value Ram I've been able to even run an original 8bit dos game through a virtual dos window with DosBox as seen in the images at the link here for the screen shot contest. You will have to scroll down a little to see how that looked on XP and Vista alike. http://www.computerforum.com/21659-screenshot-contest-372.html

murdock22

A good deal of things depend on your hardware as well as software environment. Just having the latest "Bells + Whistles" doesn't necessarily mean a good gaming machine with the new version of Windows out. So far some real older games that might have issues with XP have been running here with Vista as a second OS to XP Home.

With a budget video card(MSI Radeon X1300 Pro PCI-E) and 2gb of Kingston Value Ram I've been able to even run an original 8bit dos game through a virtual dos window with DosBox as seen in the images at the link here for the screen shot contest. You will have to scroll down a little to see how that looked on XP and Vista alike. http://www.computerforum.com/21659-screenshot-contest-372.html

where can i get that? does it come with any other games other than duke?

speedyink

VIP Member
Vista seems to run games just fine. It pretty much runs the same as in XP. As long as you have at least a gig of RAM it should run pretty good.

PC eye

banned
where can i get that? does it come with any other games other than duke?

The screen shots seen there are from an old 8bit dos game that came out like some 17yrs. ago. You would be fortunate to find it on recycled software at an EBay auction or someone who deals with the "old" dos programs. Even Duke3D and the addons that were made for the 16bit version are vintage at this late date. The neverending drama is whether or not the supposed Duke Bukem Forever will ever be released now that Vista and a few years Vienna will be out. Duke Forever will be "when it's ready". Meanwhile for mobile users 3DRealms has released one version seen at http://www.3drealms.com/dukemobile/index.html

staplerz

my comp is pretty bad for gaming. you can see my specs in my sig. this is what i get...

• Counter-Strike - 60~70 FPS
  • Battle Field 2 - Ran great on highest settings.(don't know how to check FPS)
  • Battle Field 2: Special Forces - Runs good on Low settings but is unplayable on Highest settings.
  • Day of Defeat: Source - Does Not Run. I get this error: "hl2.exe has stopped working"

PC eye

banned
The problem there is more at your end. HL2 and EP1 ran good here except for two spots in two different game maps in EP1 due to the beta sound drivers being used for the Audigy 4 Pro here. Fear sees 70 on the MSI Radeon X1300 Pro and that's not a real gaming card.

speedyink

VIP Member
my comp is pretty bad for gaming. you can see my specs in my sig. this is what i get...

• Battle Field 2: Special Forces - Runs good on Low settings but is unplayable on Highest settings.
  • Day of Defeat: Source - Does Not Run. I get this error: "hl2.exe has stopped working"

I get about the same FPS as you in CS:S, which isn't right. Why would Battlefield 2: Special forces bring your performance down so much? Is it an expansion or something? Expansion dont usually make such a drastic change...

For FEAR I get about 30-40 FPS on high settings (not maxed). COD 2 runs at about 25-35FPS on maxed settings. The C&C 3 demo runs at about 20-30 FPS maxed(no AA). HL2, Flatout 2, Heroes V, Sims 2, Myst series all run perfectly (50+ FPS) at maxed settings. HL2 Episode 1 however runs at about 30FPS with HDR on and AA off.

macnoob

what does fps stand for?

PC eye

banned
Frames per second(fps) are not the main concern with the new version of Windows. While ATI has their own updated calalysts and driver sets out NVidia seems to be behind there in some cases. What you will find most common is the lask of updates for sound either onboard or for model cards that have been out for some time. The new added features also can see a slight lag combined with the lack of updates for sound.