Vista/HD movies? FORGET IT!

randruff

To extremely paraphrase the article, it's saying that unless your monitor and video card, on the hardware level, support the HDCP protection scheme, any high definition video content will be automatically degraded to 25% of the quality it is supposed to be. So, if you purchase either an HD-DVD or BLU-RAY drive (when they become available) for your PC, don't count on using that drive to watch high definition movies unless you shell out the cashola for a new video card and monitor as well.

Jon Boy

Wouldn’t you be angry if your car was advertised as doing 16 mpg, and you only got 4 mpg?

OMG thats what shocked me, shows something about culture in America I think that an average car out there they think does 16mpg. I mean good milage in england is like 45mpg.

But on topic we got an HDTV is that supported by vista. Cos I know its High Definition and can be used as a comp monitor. And if its not would it like have only 50% loss instead of 75% do things like that work like that?.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I heard that it would still be higher then regular DVD quality is today so I'm not worried (If that is true!).

You have to realize this also. The drives to run the new HD DVDs are going to be pretty expensive. the Burners will prob. be like $1000. or more. Remember DVD Roms and burners? The equipment was very expensive. Point is by the time the $$$ comes down on the optical drives most will prob. have The video card and Monitor to support it. I honestly think many are getting carried away. For those that are worried about running Vista because of HDCP don't be. HDCP has nothing to do with being able to run the OS on your system. For those that are mad that you can't watch the HD DVD content etc. on your machines... Don't be :p. By the time most can afford the optical drives you prob. will have replaced your current equipment or will want to.

Do I agree with HDCP? not really no. Some of you are just upset because you think it is unfair (in a privacy/ it's an attack against your rights sort of way) and I'm good with that. Some of you are upset with it because you think it is unfair because you just spent sooo much money on your current hardware and now you feel it will be useless to watch HDDVD content on your PC and I think you are getting carried away just a little.

Last edited: