Vista Home Premium?

PC eye

banned
There's not too many Vista ready programs out at this time. And a good deal of the older desktop applications would need a new Vista ready version. Surprisiingly some of the older games run better then some of the more recent titles where some of those won't even install.

Comparing the differences between 32bit and 64bit in the greater sense would be like comparing 16bit to 32bit where the 32bit is a better and more stable platform. This will eventually be the case with the 64bit OSs over the bulk of 32bit now in use. But the transition from 32bit to 64bit is going to take far longer since the market is still 32bit orientated. Like the 32bit version the 64bit versions of Windows have some degree of backward compatibility to 32bit programs. But just like the 32bit version older 2000/XP games and apps will need to be replaced.

lhoney2

From what I've read, the only version of Vista for a home user to get would be Vista Home Premium. I bought the OEM version of Vista Premium at Newegg last week for 119.00. A pretty fair deal I think.

As for 64 vs. 32 bit versions, I went with the 64 bit version because the CPU I bought was 64 bit.

So far the applications I have tried to run work fine in Vista. I use Second Life a pretty good bit. They claim not to support Vista, however it works just fine.

When I installed Vista, it had drivers for everything except for my Edimax wireless-G PCI card. The disk that came with the PCI card had driver on it for Win 98, 2000, and XP. I used the XP driver and it works fine.

Maybe it is on a case by case basis, but I have been fortunate with Win XP drivers, apps, and games running on Vista without a hitch.

PC eye

banned
Even for the 32bit version of Vista you have to go one step at a time for either game or app to see whuich will even install let alone run. Some older games actually run better in Vista then XP. Figure that one out. For Vista and home users there are actually four editiions while Business does imply that.

The Basic is a stripped down version with the Home Premium seeing far more. The Ultimate version seen for $199.99 seeing the higest price of those offers four more items with onliy one making the price gap worth it namely a hardware protection feature included. The Enterprise is a strictly corporate edition. You can see the comparisons between the four at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pr.../choose.mspx?wt_svl=10033VHa2&mg_id=10033VHb2