Vista Problem

dougland

I got my little sister a Compaq desktop. It has vista, 512mb ram, and an athlon x2 processor. It worked for the first time then i turned it off and tried starting it back on and it will not go farther than the windows vista basic welcome screen. It just feezes. But when i start it in safe mode it works. Any ideas?

PC eye

banned
If the system was just purchase then the preinstalled copy of Windows needs repair. The system recovery disks should have been included with the system. When booting up with the installation or recovery disk(bonded for one pc) the initial screen where it shows the "install now" option shuld see a repair tools button on the bottom section of the screen.

One of the options in the repair tools is for automatically repairing startup problems. Otherwise you would have to bring it into the place where it was purchased to keep from voiding the warranty.

dougland

Purchased from a seller on ebay. Im about to install XP on it im so fed up w/vista. It's the delorian, the rotary engine, the communism theory of operation systems (aka looked good on paper but sucked in reality)

PC eye

banned
Without the original recovery disks for restoring factory defaults and only 512mb of memory typical with older prebuilds a clean install of XP would be the option there. Any leftover problems with Vista would be long gone with a clean install. You would simply need to download the necessary updates from the HP support site.

dougland

It was brand new factory sealed. My Dad and I did a system restore and it seems to function now. It said something about security issues. Could Limewire (music/video download) alter the security/make it crash like that? Because now we will not let Limewire on that machine.

PC eye

banned
Limewire is bad news in general. Even the Pro version was removed quicly here when that was given a once over. Often a 3rd party site's download link will provide some headaches when using a program like that.

The security issues on the other habd sound like Vista's new User Account Control feature that acts like a super firewall anytime you go to do something. That can disabled in the control panel.

That's simply another MS annoyance like prompts for updating the Windows Defender which doesn't do anything in the first place. :rolleyes:

dougland

Yeah on my computer i have XP Media center and i love it, but vista...well thats a whole different story. I really think Microsoft messed up on that one.

PC eye

banned
I would be far from stating XP is totally outdated. It's quite the contrary. One look at how MS slacked off with WMP 11 is certain/ When going to play any video file including a wmv type for something like a game trailer there's no picture while the audio is heard.

In XP WMP 10 on the other hand saw all kinds of support for various file types there. Plus where are the visualizations commonly seen in WMP? None for Vista! Even 3rd party downloads won't work! since none are included.

PC eye

banned
At first the Aero atyles were the big excirement until people realized those chumped on system resources by simply using more ram. Vista has it's "bugs" as the word goes alright like no picture seen even with wmv files in WMP 11 and lacking any visualizations that have always been included for those that use WMP. No picutre when running a trailer for a new game in wmv format? WMP 11 in Vista as well as XP is "buggy"!

The pros are few other then simply being another version of Windows like many hesitated moving from 98SE to XP after the ME flop! One plus for Vista is the improvements seen in the crash control/desktop recovery by task manager override when a game or app locks.

The second item is a definite improvement seen in installing Windows with improvements in hardware detection and "drive partitioning tools" like actually see little bits of unallocated drive space the XP installer missed. Plus you can now format and resize partitions without a 3rd party software or free drive tool like Gparted. And the lists go on and on and... for both pros and cons with the new version.

PC eye

banned
You would be surprised to learn how many thought XP sucked when that first came out after ME flopped! Many surprisingly still run the older 9x even 3.1 versions of Windows to this day. The only reason 98 isn't somewhere on this build is that there's no more support for board and hardwares. DOSBox had helped even on Vista to see some old stuff still usable.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You would be surprised to learn how many thought XP sucked when that first came out after ME flopped! Many surprisingly still run the older 9x even 3.1 versions of Windows to this day. The only reason 98 isn't somewhere on this build is that there's no more support for board and hardwares. DOSBox had helped even on Vista to see some old stuff still usable.

Believe me people that had ME jumped on XP, like me I bypassed ME and used 2000 didnt think XP was all that and I still dont. If it wasnt for microsoft starting to drop support for 2000 I would have bypassed XP. If you really think about it XP is 2000 ME and now we have Vista I guess its 2000ME II. None of these are nothing but upgrades on 2000.

Last edited:

pumaking

I dont know man I really like Vista Business. I had Vista XP Pro and it feels like Vista is just smoother and all around faster. However I did do some registry hacks, and disabled a few things.