vista says it's not genuine

timbo59

We bought two identical PC's from my wife's former employer when they shut down. Nice units, and each came loaded with Vista version 6002.

About 6 months ago we started running into a hardware issue with the PC she was using (it kept shutting off at random) so I simply swapped her HD into the spare unit (saved having to transfer everything over) at which point we started getting a message that a hardware change had been detected and that the OS was invalid. We did take the Vista disk with us when we bought the units, but for the life of us we can't find it, so I have no way of trying to re-enter the registration. Simply put, does swapping a HD over invalidate your license, or am I running into some other kind of glitch?

Thanks

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If the hardware is just ever so slightly different, then yes it can say Windows needs to be re-activated. So you need to go into the system properties and reactivate Windows. If you don't have they key, then you're out of luck (though you may not need the key).

silv55

Hi guys: Sorry to butt in but,i also have 2 HP Pavillion DV-6 1259DX and DV-5 1254 US, and i also suspect that they both could be recognized by MS as Key activation as concern.
But today i've over come all my suspicions by putting HDD from DV-6 into DV-5 with Win 7 installed and it recognized it right away,
both Hp laptops are running Win 10 Preview installs made the same way from same Win 7 ISO and upgraded same way,showing same Activation # ID#.

Note:both HP Dv-5/and DV-6 show in the Bios that both were installed Win Vista from Factory, But DV-6 was upgraded to Win 7 by the previous owner,and DV-5 still is Win Vista, but it accepted win 7 upgrade and from there on i upgraded to Win 10 Preview.so it means that i could use the upgrades activation as one only PC,which is great,
remember i bought DV-6 Pavillion with Win 7 Installed for 50 bucks,
so my Luck;in a god way.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Windows 10 preview doesn't matter. Everyone has the same key for it so it's not going to be asked to be activated.

silv55

Windows 10 preview doesn't matter. Everyone has the same key for it so it's not going to be asked to be activated.

But it will matter,if MS will give you upgrade for free from legit genuine Win7 users,this is the way i see it,and if you have Win Vista legit key unless you pay upgrade to Win 7 MS won't let you keep upgrade to win 10 for free, also the way i see it, maybe i'm wrong.

Last edited:

tayorous

Firstly why are you still using Vista?
Secondly there should be a key on a sticker on the system so just use that instead of the disk

silv55

Firstly why are you still using Vista?
Secondly there should be a key on a sticker on the system so just use that instead of the disk

Fortunately i don't have to run Win vista on my HP DV-5 laptop cause i can upgrade to win 7 with same legit win 7 key of my other HP DV-6 same motherboard ,
at the moment i'm running both HP DV 5 /DV6 with WIN 10 Preview.