Vista shows 3gb memory

bomberboysk

Ok... i have an evga 790i Ultra SLI motherboard, and strangely enough vista ultimate 64-bit. Well When i go to my computer it shows 4.0GB Ram, but when i check task manager or anything else it is showing 3069mb memory. I heard something about a memory remapping feature but my board doesnt have anything of the kind, help please? Specs in sig... This must have happened within the last month or two, as i know it sayd 409x MB ram a month or two ago...

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Bump, Tried uninstlling vmware network drivers, Kaspersky internet security, reinstalled sound drivers... still no dice. At boot i get it showing the full 4gb memory during POST, but for some reason vista is still showing 3096mb:(

bomberboysk

How much memory does your video card have?

512MB, but im running 64-BIT, not 32bit which is why it is puzzling me, and im also running ultimate so that can address up to 128GB ram, Like i said earlier, a few months ago same rig was showing full 4gb memory... heck, when i go to my computer it even says 4.0GB memory :confused:

Screenies:
Task Manager:
Untitled2.jpg

My Computer:
Untitled-4.jpg

Last edited:

sshaggy

hey what u did, can u explain in detail
i have 4 GB in ultimate 32 sp1. it shows full 4 GB in computer and bios.
But under task manager, it shows only 2812 and my graphics uses 256 MB shared.
but still there is about 1 GB missing

lovely?

maybe a stick is having some issues? you could try and isolate the stick, taking out three at a time until one doesnt show up? if with each stick, the task manager still reports 1gb, then its a software problem for sure.

Bodaggit23

Fixed.... Had the "Maximum Memory" tab checked under boot-Advanced on msconfig.

Start, Run, msconfig
Under the BOOT tab, click Advanced Options
Uncheck the Maximum Memory option
Click OK, and OK again on the main screen
Exit and Restart

When you restart (with XP) a splash screen will appear
letting you know you changed the msconfig

Check the box that says "Do not show me this again".

maybe a stick is having some issues? you could try and isolate the stick, taking out three at a time until one doesnt show up? if with each stick, the task manager still reports 1gb, then its a software problem for sure.
He fixed it already.

sshaggy

i have 2x2GB sticks in my laptop.
I wil try first the mscongif method.
If it doenst works then will try removing the sticks.

Cant open my laptop right now, my parents will be crazy to see me doing a surgery on my laptop. LOL

sshaggy

Well the problem still persists.
Actually max memory was already unchecked, and even if i checked it, it wont increase beyond 2812 MB.
Anyway, i checked and restarted, and again, unchecked and restarted, both resulted a null.
Will try stick removing later.

sshaggy

Well, i found what the problem may be.
i had one 2 GB factory installed DDR2 RAm with 400 MHz frequency and the other one which was installed by the retailer later is of 333 MHz.

Attached screen shot:

Untitled.jpg

Can two different frequencies work together. till date, i have no problem, except the reduction i n RAm, already stated above.

Last edited:

sshaggy

you are having vista 32 bit but you should have vista 64 bit to support 4Gb RAM

Well as far as I know, vista 32 bit does support 4 GB RAM. Well I am not the only one who is saying this, Microsoft says this on there website. Dont believe me, i m posting an screen shot from their website

Untitled-1.jpg

And with shared graphics , it gives at least 3.5 - 3.75 GB.

so what does u say now??

Aastii

VIP Member
yea sshagy you are right, thandakid is incorrect (lets see how much he contests that though). 32 bit can only support up to 4GB, however it will never be able to use 4GB because memory from the video card is taken from that. So if you have a 512MB video card with 4GB of RAM on 32 bit vista, vista will show 3.5GB and the other 512MB will be for the graphics card's dedicated memory

sshaggy

Well my Graphics card ATI Radeon HD 3200 uses 256 MB of shared memory. this lefts out 3.75 GB of RAM. But mine shows around 2.75. So there is still about 1GB RAM missing.

I m not here to contest anyone. Plz dont deviate the topic.

Aastii

VIP Member
So thandakid is wrong, when he says you need 64bit Vista to make use of 4GB system RAM?

4GB address space vs 4GB system RAM

No, he didn't say that, he just said

and then

you are having vista 32 bit but you should have vista 64 bit to support 4Gb RAM

which is incorrect. You can have up to 4GB in 32 bit but it is 4GB - Graphics card memory. Whatever is left over your system can use for processes, he was trying to, once again, be smart and failing.

Back on topic though, where that 1GB has gone i don't know, the screenshot you put from CPU-Z is probably the source, one stick is underclocked for some reason. Try manually putting the settings to the same as the fully working sticks through the bios.

Just a quick question, did you buy the 2x2GB sticks together, or did you buy them seperately?

If seperately, they may be mismatched and there is the problem