Vista Start Menu

Cpetrie

Ok, I switched over to Vista about 1.5 months ago (good choice overall), but at the beginning I was having an issue. I do not fully recall all the circumstances that created my problem, because I waited a while to post this, so forgive me if there are not enough details. Now, my problem, I like to set up my start menu with folders like this:

>Accessories
>Programs
>Games
>Miscellaneous
>Startup

First of all, it would not let me create a new folder, so I just emptied a folder I was not going to use and renamed it. Then I dragged and dropped (after disabling the User Control thing) the programs and games in to their respective folders. Shortly after doing this, perhaps after I restart, the folders would disappear with all the links in them. Right now I had to go into my Program Files and manually make shortcuts and drag them to the start menu. Even those links disappear sometime, too. I have some, but not all, of the stuff I want on the start menu, I am missing the accessories folder somehow too. Anyway, my questions are:

1. Does anyone know how to restore your Start Menu, without a re-install, to its original state (perhaps with it already seeking out my installed programs and games)?

&

2. (Optional) Does anyone know what caused this problem (user to keyboard interface, maybe?)

Zatharus

VIP Member
Have you looked at the settings for your Start Menu (Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Taskbar and Start Menu)?

You can easily customize what is show in your start menu by modifying the following directories:

For all users:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

For individual users:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Do any of your modified directories show up in either of those locations?