Vista to XP

Rickymadeja

I want to downgrade my computer from Vista to XP, If I do so, Will I lose all my Music, and Videos, and the like?

cohen

back up your hard drive.... but mostly likely you should reformat the hard drive and start fresk on the hard drive.

PC eye

banned
In order to remove the boot folder created by the Vista installer the drive or in particular the primary Vista is currenly on would have to be reformatted in order to see XP then install onto the NTFS 5.0 primary still seen with Vista.

If you currently only have one partition on a single hard drive a drive tool like GParted live for cd can shrink that down somewhat to see a second storage partition created allowing you to backup your files to that before dumping the Vista primary altogether.

You also have the option of dual booting XP along with Vista if the drive is large enough since many are staying with Vista once they have run it for a good period of time. Another option if this is a preinstalled copy of Vista on a prebuilt system would be adding in a second drive and not worrying about losing anything to have both versions available.

PC eye

banned
That depends on whether this is on a prebuild system just recently out with Vista preinstalled seeing that version as the only supported. Or isi it a slightly older model that saw XP as well as also seeing Vista being out just at the time Vista was released allowing support of both.

On a custom build even the newest boards should still see driver/software support for XP since SP3 just came out giving XP an extension. First looking at the system information like make and model for prebuild or the board on a custom case will show what support is available at the manufacturer's support site.