Vista Ultimate 32-bit or 64-bit?

PC eye

banned
Despite backward compatibility from 64bit to 32bit not everything is going to work there. And not everyone is all 64bit ready! Don't forget many still run systems with 32bit only cpu and hardwares. How do you install a new 64bit OS on a 32bit system? You don't!

That's what MS looks at there as well anyone else(Apple, Linux, SUN) has to look at as well. It will be a gradual process to see people even think about XP Pro 64bit let alone the latest version MS puts out. With the increased drive space here I could eaily place either of the 64bit versions of Windows along with a 64bit Linux distro at some point. With two more 500gb satas added in the present built it would be a surprise not to at least one 64bit OS installed here.

zaroba

who says that these people with the old 32 bit hardware have to try and install these new 64bit operating systems on there 32bit computers? they could just stick with there old 32 bit operating system and run 32 bit programs. theres even still people useing windows 98 on pentium 3s out there. there comes a time when you have to upgrade. if you can't then you get left behind with the old hardware that you have. how do you think computers have advanced all these years? it wasn't by constantly supporting old technology instead of moving into new technologies. if you think OSs should constantly support old technology instead of moving to new technology, then wheres that 16bit version of XP or 98? :p 16bit got left behind after 32 bit was released. just like 32bit should be now that 64bit is out.

if old 32 bit hardware is constantly being supported, then people wont see much of a need to upgrade to 64bit and thus deveolpers wont see the need to support it at all. and thats where we are currently, more then a year after the release of 64bit hardware and OSs and theres still not much program or driver support for them. geeze....more then a year already, its already old.

Last edited:
who says that these people with the old 32 bit hardware have to try and install these new 64bit operating systems on there 32bit computers? they could just stick with there old 32 bit operating system and run 32 bit programs. theres even still people useing windows 98 on pentium 3s out there. there comes a time when you have to upgrade. if you can't then you get left behind with the old hardware that you have. how do you think computers have advanced all these years? it wasn't by constantly supporting old technology instead of moving into new technologies. if you think OSs should constantly support old technology instead of moving to new technology, then wheres that 16bit version of XP or 98? :p 16bit got left behind after 32 bit was released. just like 32bit should be now that 64bit is out.

if old 32 bit hardware is constantly being supported, then people wont see much of a need to upgrade to 64bit and thus deveolpers wont see the need to support it at all. and thats where we are currently, more then a year after the release of 64bit hardware and OSs and theres still not much program or driver support for them. geeze....more then a year already, its already old.
thats the reason i bought vista 64. and if you find someone running windows 98 and they arent someones grandmother they need to be slapped. ya digg?

zaroba

actually...i stand corrected. 64bit has been out since 2004 or so. its already 3 years old!
3 years and STILL only a small amount of driver and program support, probably because people don't use it much because companies insist on continueing to support 32 bit technology and thus developers don't see the need to support 64bit which adds to the reasons people don't use it.

64bit is to 32bit like 32bit was to 16bit.
technology moved on from 16bit to 32bit despite the fact that everybody still had 16bit hardware.
technology has also advanced in hardware despite everybody having old hardware. ISA -> PCI -> PCI/AGP -> PCIE

why do people/companies not want to move to 64bit now that it is out?
its time to get out of the 32bit era.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The main reason for seeing a swift changover from 16bit to 32bit is that the OSR2 release for WIN 95 was the first for home users while NT was already a 32bit OS. The second release WIN95 PLUS! saw OSR2 included. 98 fully became the first 32bit version for home and not network/sevrer application. As far as the newer OSs supporting older hardwares they haven't even caught upto the faster paced hardware trend leaving Windows behind!

Geoff

VIP Member
actually...i stand corrected. 64bit has been out since 2004 or so. its already 3 years old!
3 years and STILL only a small amount of driver and program support, probably because people don't use it much because companies insist on continueing to support 32 bit technology and thus developers don't see the need to support 64bit which adds to the reasons people don't use it.

64bit is to 32bit like 32bit was to 16bit.
technology moved on from 16bit to 32bit despite the fact that everybody still had 16bit hardware.
technology has also advanced in hardware despite everybody having old hardware. ISA -> PCI -> PCI/AGP -> PCIE

why do people/companies not want to move to 64bit now that it is out?
its time to get out of the 32bit era.
The reason is because the only consumer 64-Bit OS was Windows Pro x64, which besides being a 64-bit OS, offered nothing new. So there was no reason for people to upgrade, which resulted in a very low percentage of people having it, which then resulted in very limited driver support.

Windows Vista x64 should change all that.

hells3000

Ive talked to the Microsoft Press and if you buy vista 32 bit you can later get the 64-bit version for free...

Bl00dFox

[-0MEGA-];648731 said:
The reason is because the only consumer 64-Bit OS was Windows Pro x64, which besides being a 64-bit OS, offered nothing new. So there was no reason for people to upgrade, which resulted in a very low percentage of people having it, which then resulted in very limited driver support.

Windows Vista x64 should change all that.

What difference is there between Vista 32 and 64? I thought there was no other difference (no new features, etc)...

Am I wrong? Will the 64bit Vista have a lot more features than the 32bit?

Geoff

VIP Member
What difference is there between Vista 32 and 64? I thought there was no other difference (no new features, etc)...

Am I wrong? Will the 64bit Vista have a lot more features than the 32bit?
No they have the same features, but upgrading from 32-Bit XP to 64-Bit Vista is a big upgrade, unlike from XP to XP Pro x64.

PC eye

banned
I wouldn't say the 64bit version of Vista will change that much. It will see a larger amount of users however. But the main trend in software is still 32bit at the present and near future unlike the faster changeover to 32bit after the 3.1 and 95 ended fast. From 95 on plus the opening up of the internet saw more what? "Home users" getting online and the faster turnover of both laptop(convenience) accompanied by pc games drawing in more and more into the 32bit world. The new DX10 games everyone is screaming for will still turn out to be what? 32bit as usual.

Bl00dFox

I wouldn't say the 64bit version of Vista will change that much. It will see a larger amount of users however. But the main trend in software is still 32bit at the present and near future unlike the faster changeover to 32bit after the 3.1 and 95 ended fast. From 95 on plus the opening up of the internet saw more what? "Home users" getting online and the faster turnover of both laptop(convenience) accompanied by pc games drawing in more and more into the 32bit world. The new DX10 games everyone is screaming for will still turn out to be what? 32bit as usual.

Are you saying that DX10 games WONT WORK AT ALL with Vista 64? Thats no good...

PC eye

banned
People seem to forget often that backward compatibility doesn't actaully cover all. XP is backward compatible with Fat16 as Fat32 while most 98 programs won't even install let alone run on the newer version there. You can install XP on the older type of partition even while it is usually incompatible to most things. DOSBox couldn't even get the 16bit programs or games like Duke2d running while the 8bit originals saw working results in a "virtual" environment there. Some things will others won't between 64bit and 32bit there too.

Some games and many apps that run in XP either won't work or run too well in the 32bit versoin of Vista. The compatibility problems still come into things. While the 64bit structure sounds like a more stable base to start wtih the market is still 32bit geared. The system requirements for each game or application will be the thing to be looking at to see what it will run on.

john5582

run 32 bit on a 64 bit

i was wonder how can u run a browser as 32 bit on 64 bit system. The reason i ask that ask question becuase my flash player is not working on my internt ex7 anymore......help please.thanks

john5582

help please

i was wonder how can u run a browser as 32 bit on 64 bit system. The reason i ask that ask question becuase my flash player is not working on my internt ex7 anymore......help please.thanks

john5582

help please

i was wonder how can u run a browser as 32 bit on 64 bit system operation Vista. The reason i ask that ask question becuase my flash player is not working on my internt ex7 anymore......help please.thanks

PC eye

banned
First thing is not to bring up old threads. You should have started a new one for this problem. You probably need to update the Java runtime to see the flash player work. For the latest update go to http://www.java.com/en/