Vista update ?

copiman

I just performed a clean install of Vista Home Premium 32bit w/ SP2. I have been told that Microsoft no longer supports updates. So I had a few questions;

If I do a normal check for updates, will I receive updates up to the time they stopped support?

If not I know I could use the catalog and manually download and install but how would I know what to download if I don't have a list of KB numbers?

If anyone knows a better way to accomplish this task I am all ears.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
*cough* Windows 8 *cough* Windows ME *cough*
Well 8 was ok providing you had a program(classic shell) installed to give you an actual start menu. As far as I'm concerned ME would be second worst OS ever made.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Well 8 was ok providing you had a program(classic shell) installed to give you an actual start menu. As far as I'm concerned ME would be second worst OS ever made.
Yeah 8.1 is fine. I still run it on my desktop as I refuse to upgrade to 10 until Microsoft gets their act together and stops breaking stuff all the time.

Agent Smith

IMO, Windows Vista up to 10 except 7 was a damn abomination. 10 has to be by far the worst of the worst. Windows pretty much turned its users into the cash cow. No way in HELL I'm installing an OS with a built-in keylogger either. They say you can turn it off, but I've read it can't or really won't, and even then why have a built-in keylogger in the first damn place?! It seems in this day and age everyone likes to give up a little bit of their freedom one bit (no pun interned) at a time. It started with smartphones, moved to tablets, IoT and all those Amazon Echo's and Google Home's. Albeit, I have an Amazon Echo. But it's placed in the front room where it hears me fart and yell at asinine politicians spewing BS on the news every night. Now these smart devices have added cameras. Hell if I want that crap! Even though I can tape the damn camera off.

When I build a new PC again which will be like in 6 to 10 years from now, and 10 is the only OS, I'll just block all of M$'s ASNs with a hardware-based firewall like Pfsense or something. Hell if I'm even letting M$ communicate with my computer. I already don't use updates. I do have a few criticals installed on the desktop though. It's more on how you do things with your computer above all else. A damn update isn't going to stop a malware infection. That I can guarantee.

I am toying with the idea of doing a dual boot though. Everyday Internet crap I'll use Linux and gaming will be 10.

Agent Smith

Yeah 8.1 is fine. I still run it on my desktop as I refuse to upgrade to 10 until Microsoft gets their act together and stops breaking stuff all the time.

d52c2a8d595db08004e2917185f02f95d7e3e19275ef3024c4435d1fb2b78128.jpg