Vista Users! How to / Problems

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, I got Vista installed before...

I can't get my sound working, Apparently, Vista DL's the drivers you need on it's own, but I still don't have sound... I've gotten all the updates through update manager too...

For sound drivers;
I tried the ones off the Gigabyte Web site, that are apparently for XP and Vista, and I got these messages after installing;

2005592333555200225_rs.jpg

2005552002512761841_rs.jpg

Still, no sound, any ideas?

Also, when I turn the computer off, it start to turn off, but then it BSOD's and then restarts, this happens every time I try to turn it off, I don't know what it's because of, because I don't have time to read what it says... :mad:

Before, I went to turn the cathodes off at the back of the comp, when I heard a click and then the comp turned off, I turned off the PSU, waited a little while, then turned it back on, could this be why? Or is it the sound drivers, because they aren't compatable?

Any ideas or suggestions would be GREATLY apprciated! :eek: Thanks a lot!

sameer795

I dont know about the sound driver trouble but the BSOD's are generally caused because of RAM mishaps....

Try reseting your bios and then reinstall your windows!! it may hopefully work.

PC eye

banned
Correction needed please! Most BSODs are a result of driver problems. That is software related. The first with Vista besides disabling the annoying User Account Control option box found in the Control Panel is to disable the Windows firewall at least until all of your main hardware drivers see a good install.

Automatically allowing Windows to simply download drivers doesn't always insure the correct ones are going on. But the item on the list since Vista still sees the device manager is to go into the sound, video, and game controllers section to look for the one or more items related to the board's software there.

Simply right click on the main one found and choose the update driver option with the board's software disk in the optical drive. The idea there is to replace a bad set you may seen or bad install by browsing the audio driver folder in order to highlight the original in order for Windows to copy and install from there.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I dont know about the sound driver trouble but the BSOD's are generally caused because of RAM mishaps....

Try reseting your bios and then reinstall your windows!! it may hopefully work.

It could be, the BSOD is a stop 0x0000007F error?

PC Eye, Thanks, I turned off the firewall and tried installing again, but I got the same error message, also I right clicked in Device Manager and asked it to find the right ones for me and it said that I had them already installed, so I don't know what to do now...

funkysnair

VIP Member
i am too having problems with sound--

when using digital out (spdif) my sound keeps muting evry now and again for a fraction of a second.

nothing major but annoying-think its one of them things that will be sorted eventualy when patches start getting released-i hope

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
not sure, i would install the chipset--then sound drivers. Hope that fixes it :(

If you havn't already, disable "UAC" :p

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok sure, I'll give it a go... I hope it works too! :eek:

Also, there's two sound drivers for my MOBO, what order do they go in?

How do I disable it? ;)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, just got a load of updates and when it was turning off, I got a BSOD with an 0x0000007F error, it's the same one I was having before I re-installed, it only happens after I install the updates thought! It's got to be one of them!?

This is pissing me right off! :mad:

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Went back to a restore point, before I had the updates, but it still happens! :mad:

How can I find out what's causing it!?!?!?!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Try booting into safe mode (press F8 key) and follow the steps below:

I've had the same problems with Vista automatically updating device drivers. To prevent Vista from doing this, click Start -> right click Computer -> click Properties -> System and Maintenance -> System Protection -> then click the Hardware tab. Click Windows Update Driver Settings. Then click "Never check for drivers when I connect a device."

That should prevent Vista from automatically installing drivers for a device it does not recognize. If that doesn't work, unplug your modem or router from the computer.

Then try to uninstall whatever drivers Vista installed, reboot into safe mode, and install the most recent sound drivers for your board.

Hope that helps, Danny. :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks Mike :) I appriciate the help!

The problem isn't so much that the drivers are a problem, I think I know what to do with them now... I hope!

It's the BSOD that I'm getting when-ever I turn the computer off, as it says 'Shutting Down' it BSOD's... This was after I got the updates...?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks Mike, the thing is, I doubt it's a hardware error, becuase it only happens after I've installed the updates :confused:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's probably software related. ;)

This only occurs when you shutdown? Otherwise, your computer runs normally? Did you install the sound drivers without problems?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, Only when I shut down, or I'm going through restart, you know, just as it's shutting down... Other than that, it's fine!

I'm still working on the sound drivers now! :eek:

Kornowski

VIP Member
OK. Don't ever shut the computer down or restart.
You wanna try sleeping next to this thing, not going to happen! :p

I'm just getting the drivers for the sound off the Gigabyte Web site, it's DL'ing at 12.7KB/s, their web site is SO slow!

This is really, really, really freakin' irritating, it takes the piss! :mad:

Why won't anything work!?!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You wanna try sleeping next to this thing, not going to happen! :p

No thanks. Try sleeping next to teh 900. :eek:

I'm just getting the drivers for the sound off the Gigabyte Web site, it's DL'ing at 12.7KB/s, their web site is SO slow!

In the device manager, are there question marks next to any devices? Did Vista already install drivers for the sound?

This is really, really, really freakin' irritating, it takes the piss! :mad:

Yeah, I know. I've been there. We'll straighten it out. ;)