Vista Users

ChrisUlrich

Can you say what version you have, what bit, and how you like it compared to the previous Windows Software you used?

I REALLY want Vista... but I want it more for gaming then anything.

PC eye

banned
With RC1 I choose the Ultimate option where only the beta video and sound drivers saw results. In the coming months when people having been running the new full versions now available for some time that would be the time to ask about how things are going. Up until now only the betas have been used. Some are reporting XP is 15-30% faster then Vista including some reviews.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have the full Vista Business edition and I honestly dont like it. Right now there is absolutely no reason to buy/use it, nothing it made for it yet and there are tons of problems.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];569083 said:
I have the full Vista Business edition and I honestly dont like it. Right now there is absolutely no reason to buy/use it, nothing it made for it yet and there are tons of problems.

As there always is... :)

Oh, and keep in mind when buying that the 64 bit version only comes in the box for the Ultimate version, in addition to the 32 bit version. Home Basic, Premium and Business edition all come with the 32 bit version of the OS only.

PC eye

banned
Gee no wonder I'll eventually be going with the Ultimate. I get two OSs for one that way. :p OEM stands for 1/2 price at newegg and other places. That was $199 compared to the original figures of $399 retail seen.

Jet

VIP Member
Vista can wait for me. I'm fine with my Windows XP Professional :). If I did buy Vista, I'd probably buy a middle of the road version.

Geoff

VIP Member
It's weird, people who have to pay $199 for Vista cant wait to get it, but I have Business absolutely free and I dont even have it installed... funny how these things happen :rolleyes:

Core2Conroe

banned
[-0MEGA-];569215 said:
It's weird, people who have to pay $199 for Vista cant wait to get it, but I have Business absolutely free and I dont even have it installed... funny how these things happen :rolleyes:

Thats the fun part about Torrents, huh?

(Just kidding, I know about your MSDN :p)

PC eye

banned
I'll see what the price is on OEMs this weekend if I don't find a better price on some hardwares. I still have a second drive for throwing different OSs on. But I would hate to see XP Pro replaced by some "flop" of a new version like ME was?

theboy

Really what is there to offer in vista? All my programs work, my system is flawless. Why would I install a buggy gui?:rolleyes:

PC eye

banned
I'm not actually in a rush either to pay out for the "early bird" release. But I'm stuck running WMP 11 on the XP Pro drive while WMP 10 works great on the XP Home primary. I guess I'm stuck there with the Vista version of WMP even after repeated attempts at removing 11 to try to get the 10 installed.

theboy

PC eye: I was in the same boat as you are/still in.... I downloaded and installed IE7 on winxppro and that was a mistake! I really dread doing a re-format but after many issues that is re-accuring I might just have to do so.

PC eye

banned
I'm sorry to hear you reformatted a drive when you could used the add/remove Windows components option in the control panel. That takes any version of IE off the system totally. IE 7 beta got removed fast when first tried briefly. But both versions of XP have the full version running without seeing any problems. Apparently you grabbed the beta?

theboy

I've tried that & didn't seem to work. No I don't think it was beta. I downloaded it, in my auto updates from microsoft.....hmmm.

PC eye

banned
You may end up totally removing IE along with temporarily disabling any firewall, antivirus, or other programs that could interfere with a clean install. A quick trip into the startup group and services sections(hiding MS services of course) found in the msconfig utility to disable all should see it go right on without problems. That would require a pair of system restarts to load Windows at first without the main startups and services running followed by those being re-enabled later.

PC eye

banned
At first there's a lot of excitement and "eye candy" with the new OS out. But even analysts in reports state that it will be some time before Vista becomes the default version of Windows just like XP is enjoying at the present time. When 98 first came out I held off to still run 95 for a period of time. Then came 98SE! I'm so glad! I'm so glad! I waited! :D

Phate321

im not trying to argue with anyone because i see both sides of the story. trust me, for a long time i was wondering all that stuff too. but i bought the full version of vista home premium today, instead of just upgrade. and trust me, it is without a doubt worth it. i have no conflicts whatsoever with any of my programs running. sum bugs, but very very minor. vista, in my opinion, is where its at. no questions asked. everything runs so much smoother, and there honestly is a lot less stuff wrong with it than xp ever dreamed of accomplishing. oh, and to straighten up the doubt of the 32bit vs the 64bit versions of vista if you dont purchase ultimate......when you buy ANY other copy of vista other than ultimate, and still want the 64bit versionm, all you have to do is go to the upgrade website through microsoft and purchase the 64bit version for only $9.95. thats a steal. i dont recommend upgrading to the 64bit just yet if you are a gamer, since there is still so many problems with programs, especially games, with the 64bit. but it still is nice to know that its only $9.95. also, one more opinion, dont buy the upgrade to vista, spend the extra $ and just buy the full version. trust me, it will be a lot more secure in the long run, never mess around with the OS.