vista ?

meanman

hi i used partition magic to make a 30gb partition on my c drive so i could install vista beta2 i also installed boot magic to a fat32 partition on my c drive
everything was fine so installed vista but when it had finished installing i didnt have the option to boot xp or vista it just booted to vista so i tryed to install partition magic 8 on vista so i could sort out the problem but it said not compatable with os so i had to install xp over vista so i could install partition magic 8 after installing xp over vista boot magic came up asking which os i wanted to boot to i have eventually got my system back up and running as before i did anything with a ghost image i dont know if boot magic 8 doesnt work with vista or if i did something wrong please help so i can get vista installed on duel boot so i can choose which os i want to use

Geoff

VIP Member
It sounds like you installed Vista over your current version of WindowsXP. You can use the Windows Disk Management utility to see if there are any other partitions on your drive.

Rambo

[-0MEGA-] said:
It sounds like you installed Vista over your current version of WindowsXP. You can use the Windows Disk Management utility to see if there are any other partitions on your drive.

No...

What he has done is, in English:

Used Partition Magic 8 to partition his HDD in order to install and use Vista Beta 2 in conjunction with XP. Once it installed, Vista worked fine, but, when booting, it did not give him a choice of which OS to use (there was no boot manager). So, he got his XP Installation disc and installed over the Vista partition (not his original XP partition). Now, he has two partitions - both have XP installations on them. Since then, he has been able to get back into his first XP installation.

What he wants is to be able to use a Boot Manager (such as GAG - http://gag.sourceforge.net/) in order to select which OS to use.

Ok, the resolution:

Install GAG, which is a very handy Graphical Boot Manager, or you can use Microsofts boot manager, which is found by going here:

Right-click My Computer => Properties => Advanced tab => Startup and Recovery, click the settings button:

Here, you can select which Operating System you want as the default. You can also select the time in which the boot manager stays on-screen for, before selecting the defualt OS (this only works if nothing is pushed on the keyboard).

So, what you need to do, is find the Startup and Recovery section in Vista (shouldn't be too hard, I found it before, but I have since uninstalled Vista), and then change the settings to your liking.

I hope I have helped.

:)

Last edited:

DanLatimer

no vista needs something like 15 i dont remember exactly.

I did the same thing, partitioned 20 gigs of space, installed vista but the vista boot manager worked like a charm for me!

Geoff

VIP Member
Rambo said:
No...

What he has done is, in English:

Used Partition Magic 8 to partition his HDD in order to install and use Vista Beta 2 in conjunction with XP. Once it installed, Vista worked fine, but, when booting, it did not give him a choice of which OS to use (there was no boot manager). So, he got his XP Installation disc and installed over the Vista partition (not his original XP partition). Now, he has two partitions - both have XP installations on them. Since then, he has been able to get back into his first XP installation.

What he wants is to be able to use a Boot Manager (such as GAG - http://gag.sourceforge.net/) in order to select which OS to use.

Ok, the resolution:

Install GAG, which is a very handy Graphical Boot Manager, or you can use Microsofts boot manager, which is found by going here:

Right-click My Computer => Properties => Advanced tab => Startup and Recovery, click the settings button:

Here, you can select which Operating System you want as the default. You can also select the time in which the boot manager stays on-screen for, before selecting the defualt OS (this only works if nothing is pushed on the keyboard).

So, what you need to do, is find the Startup and Recovery section in Vista (shouldn't be too hard, I found it before, but I have since uninstalled Vista), and then change the settings to your liking.

I hope I have helped.

:)

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I got mixed messages when trying to read over his confusing post.

tyayo420

hey just wondering, is there a non torrent download of the vista beta? i baught a toshiba satelite laptop i get a copy of vista free in march 07 but i wanna try the beta on a dual boot set up?? does anyone know of a download link i know there is some, i looked all over the net with no luck, thanks in advance!

Geoff

VIP Member
hey just wondering, is there a non torrent download of the vista beta? i baught a toshiba satelite laptop i get a copy of vista free in march 07 but i wanna try the beta on a dual boot set up?? does anyone know of a download link i know there is some, i looked all over the net with no luck, thanks in advance!

Not anymore, they stopped the Beta program.

And do not resurrect an old thread to ask a question which isnt even related to his original question. Make your own thread next time.

tyayo420

i didnt think it was neccesary to do that for one question, i mean i didnt wanna have a one questions thread thats how forums get all messy

Geoff

VIP Member
i didnt think it was neccesary to do that for one question, i mean i didnt wanna have a one questions thread thats how forums get all messy

There were other threads that would have been more appropriate if you didnt want to start your own.

tyayo420

well ill know that next time, as this is my last post in this forum, i get greated with your in the wrong forum make a new thread dude, the topic was VISTA? so hmmm that means post here about vista right? god damn dude i come to this forum an geek im out f this forum sorry everyone elsed get you greating me like that your prolly some poin dexture

Geoff

VIP Member
well ill know that next time, as this is my last post in this forum, i get greated with your in the wrong forum make a new thread dude, the topic was VISTA? so hmmm that means post here about vista right? god damn dude i come to this forum an geek im out f this forum sorry everyone elsed get you greating me like that your prolly some poin dexture

Sorry if it got you upset, but posting in a thread about creating a separate partition for vista, which is several months old, is worse then starting a new thread.

I know your new here, so it's fine, just as long as you dont keep doing it in the future.

computerzgeek

I did the same on my Dell D600 and had to reinstall both XP and Vista like 5 times before I go it working. Vista needs to be on the primary partition so you have to install XP on the logical partition. Insert your XP CD and at the partition management, create two partitions. Format the partitions in whatever you want and quit the installation. Insert the Vista CD and at the partition manager choose to install on C:\ . After installation, restart and boot into the XP installation and install on D:\ . If it works then you will have to download all the drivers for your hardware in Vista.