Vista..

Mikeee

Gah, still contemplating if I should go Vista home premium or XP home w/sp2
I hear problems with drivers jadajadajada..I cant choose which to use for my new rig. Would I run into problems with my rig with Vista? Are there drivers to install if I do or am i just stuck with a mess? I like XP home have no problems with it.. but dont want to regret not getting vista later on.. what shall I do?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I don't think Vista is worth getting at the moment, I'd get XP Pro, You can then have more than 3GB of RAM, I think.

cryption

I bought a new PC with Vista on it and I love vista. I'm no stranger to windows computers, though I am more biased to mac. However Vista gives me faith in windows again. I have XP, OSX, and Vista and my vista computer has gotten all my time (and not just because it's the fastest). I'm a hardcore gamer and Vista is able to run my game of choice (generally BF2142), my iTunes to sync my iPod, and decrypt a DVD (when netflix sends me something good).

It's just as stable as XP was for me, and I really love all the eye candy - when I hope on my XP machine I almsot miss it. It has a nice interface and feels a little like OSX - my personal favorite in the world of operating systems.

Also the ocean of problems refered to - well I haven't run into any. The annoying security features are a quick disable, and all my software installed without a problem - as well as the drivers for my video card etc. The sidebar is a ripoff of the Mac dashboard, but I'm not complaining because I like it. My personal favorite widget (or gadget for vista gents) is one showing the current threat level. (Is it just me or is "elevated" really mean no threat?).

Also, looking at your specs you will get more out of vista. Your computer can run it without trouble, so why not be on top of technology?

Yeah, i run vista premium and i havent had any problems with it either. It came new with my PC, well i had the option of home or premium, both free. Its XP on steroids pretty much.

JamesBart

Stick with XP Vista is terrible and will eat you RAM alive! stick wiht Vista and in a little while when they release the next version then i'd go with it!

:)

Mikeee

So many different answers lol. Looks like some hate and some like..should i risk it um..Is it worse to have my GPU running in DirectX 10? with my system specs should I run into any problems with vista as OS? I mainly be gaming it up..see im confused because some say go with it others say dont touch it. For those who hate it exactly what bothers you about it? I could just go with XP home again and not worry about any problems but Vista looks pretty good.

in a gaming perspective I'd look to Vista based on the upcoming games like Crysis which have been built according to DirectX 10. Why buy XP and then have to buy another operating system in the future. Plus, there are more and more fixes and updates for Vista as we speak. Also since you have 2 gigs of good ram I suspect you would have no problems with Vista eating away at your memory.

Mikeee

Thanks, I think ill give Vista a chance. No fun without taking a risk haha. I'd rather be one who has tried it and hated or liked it and giving my opinion then one just giving their opinion about it when they really havnt even used it. I hope it doesnt let me down with my system :D

It isn't as bad as people say, if you guys weren't running Pentium D 2.66Ghz 805's and trying to run Vista it might be a different story for you. HELLO, that CPU only has 533Mhz FSB. I forget who it was lecturing me over Vista that had that processor, whoever you are/were:p, you need to not blame the OS and look at your system.

My friend has a Pentium D 930 OC'ed to 3.53(something like that) with 1Gb of 800Mhz RAM, an X1950PRO vid card and a 975X Mobo. He has no trouble what-so-ever with it and plays the same games I do(XP), I was checking it out the other day and it had no less response time than XP.

Do me a favor, don't make an anthill into a mountain

Mikeee

Intel your system specs be almost same as mine lol or do you not have it yet? coming may i read. My rig just sitting in my room not being used because my damn GPU still hasnt come.. should be here end of this week just in time when i get my new 22" LCD monitor finally away from CRT 17" lol 'cicero' or whatever it is. Everything is in the case ready just the damn gpu holdin me back and of course OS.. Vista home premium it is. When i get it at the end of this week ill give my opinion about it hopefully it wont be something nasty lmao.

Nutter

will my computer run vista premium?
the specs are:
video-6200
ram- 512
cpu- 3.0ghz

thanks guys....