Visual Basic?

Gooberman

I only use VB script for fun things xD (note pad ftw) i was doing this plus the stuff we were doing at school but mainly we did console applications

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I'm going to need to learn how to use it later this year in Engineering Science class. Right now we're using Mathcad and Autocad.

linkin

VIP Member
I don't like really like programming stuff. I really should have chosen the other computer course. but neither of them do hardware, which is what i like most.

They need to make a computer hardware and engineering course, where you actually get to build a computer, and study hardware and find out how it works and stuff.

We cover a little of that in Software Design & Development, but only theory work. :(

linkin

VIP Member
^ thats like my dream job :p

Naw, my dream job is owning my own computer business, building and selling computers of all shapes and sizes!

lubo4444

I took Computer Programming I and we were using Visual Basic but it's kind of confusing. You have to pay a lot of attention in class in order to do a task in it. At least my class was a bit hard, not sure what yours is going to be like. I see you are 16 years old and my class was a college class so i dont know...but really if you pay attention in class it wont be really hard. :) If you have a question ask me i'll try to do my best to help.

linkin

VIP Member
cool. i might have some questions tomorrow, for now im going t bed because its about 11pm here. :tired:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
cool. i might have some questions tomorrow, for now im going t bed because its about 11pm here. :tired:

haha high schoolers, going to bed so early :p.

^ thats like my dream job :p

Naw, my dream job is owning my own computer business, building and selling computers of all shapes and sizes!

That would be a cool job to have. I wouldn't mind owning a case modding company too! Once you get good you'll start getting sponsors and you won't have to pay for all the parts!

lubo4444

No problem. :) Like i said, i'll do my best to help on it. I hope you are learning the same stuff i did. Because i dont know the whole program very well. All i know is the stuff they thought me in my class.

Gooberman

Computer Science I is VB Computer Science II is Java!!!!(for my school :D) oh man xD i have that next tri!!! :)

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Visual Basic is a good programming language.Some people might tell you that it sucks because it has many limitations,but it doesn't.Limitations are PROGRAMMER'S KNOWLEDGE.

Ok first things you should know while learning programming are:

-Never give up no matter how hard it gets!After some time you are going to laugh to those things that were "hard" to you before

-Don't even try to memorize the programming code if you do not understand it!You do NOT need to memorize all the codes.Thats why there are programs like notepad and wordpad in which you can write all the codes down.ITS IMPORTANT THAT YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THE CODE.

-The entire programming is logical!Everything makes sense.Now it may seem that MANY things do not make sense,but they all do.By time everything will make perfect sense more and more...

-Math is very important.The entire programming is about math.Every single code you write and execute is executing through the math calculations.If you are bad at math,don't give up.Just practice more more more and more and one day you will be damn good at this.Take me for example...I suck at math and I sucked a lot more in school,but I did not give up and today I am much better then 5 years ago.Some people need less practice,some people need more practice.In ANY case,do NOT give up.

-Before making ANY kind of program,the most important thing is that you first in your head IMAGINE EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.There is no point in programming if you do not know exactly what you want to do.:DSo the IDEA is very important.:D

-Its not important from what source you are studying Visual Basic.They are ALL good--->school,books,text tutorials,video tutorials,friends and so on...If you are the beginner,I recommend you the video tutorials.

-Do not study programming too much every day.Its enough that every day or every second day or even every third day you learn just one small part.It may seem small at the begining,but trust me.Day by day doing that for few years,you will see how MUCH you will know.

-All the people that tell you that you suck at programming or that you are stupid,JUST IGNORE THEM!They are probably not even programmers and have so bad image about themselves that they have a need to insolt...THOSE who ARE programmers,in 99% they wont insolt at all.;)

-Remember...almost every programming language is good.If someone tells you that the program made in C++ works better then the one made in Visual Basic (VB),dont listen to that.The program works good if the programmer's knowledge is big enough and if the code is well written.

-And so on...

-Oh yea one more thing.NEVER study programming if you are thirsty or hungry or don't feel good.The MOST IMPORTANT thing before programming is that you feel great and that you are not tired.:D

By the way...one of the great programming languages is the Microsoft Visual C#.I am using it for almost 5 years and I must say that its really great.Also one professional programmer that I know also uses C#.But if you like VB,stick with it.Its a great programming language.

Cheers mate,don't give up and good luck!:good:

codeman0013

OMG seriously why the hell are you wasting time on this outdated language.. We have 10 projects going to remove it right now. I cant believe they would make you pay to learn this since its been considered end of life for about 5 years now! I would tell your teachers to get with the time and move to a .net type app in c# or vb.net ect sorry this is just so antiquated i just dont understand why they teach it.. its like when i was in college they tried to get me to pay 5k for a cobol course.. all of which was online for free due to its age..

Dropkickmurphys

OMG seriously why the hell are you wasting time on this outdated language.. We have 10 projects going to remove it right now. I cant believe they would make you pay to learn this since its been considered end of life for about 5 years now! I would tell your teachers to get with the time and move to a .net type app in c# or vb.net ect sorry this is just so antiquated i just dont understand why they teach it.. its like when i was in college they tried to get me to pay 5k for a cobol course.. all of which was online for free due to its age..

I agree, are they talking about VB or VB.NET anyways?

I personally think VB.NET is also a pointless language, there is no other out there like it.
Learning something like C# or Java is much more usefull, they are more powerful, C# can do exactly the same as VB.NET and more, and they allow you to progress more easily into languages such as C and C++ due to a similar syntax.

I never really understood the concepts of OOP when I was learning VB.NET, but as soon as I moved onto Java it just clicked. Due to learning Java I can now also program in C# due to the fact that it is basically a copy.

Anyways, my advise would be to practice it whenever you can, get some books out of the library and make sure you understand the CONCEPTS. The syntax is the easy bit, and you can look that up online anyways, its actually how you put it all together that matters.
There is no one way of writing applications, but there are ways which are better than others, the more you understand the better your applications will be.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I agree, are they talking about VB or VB.NET anyways?

They are probably talking about the Visual Basic 6 which was the part of the Microsoft Visual Studio version 6.0.Take a look at that link that Linkin93 put in the first post.There you can clearly see few pictures that are from the Microsoft Visual Studio version 6.0 - Visual Basic 6.Or maybe its from the Microsoft Visual Studio 97 lol and if thats the case then his teachers REALLY DO USE an outdated languages.:DStill you would be surprised how big miracles can be accomplished in the Microsoft Visual Studio version 6.0 - Visual Basic 6.:D

linkin

VIP Member
Yes, our school uses Visual Basic 6.0

They also use McAfee for antivirus, have a crappy server that makes the computers constantly sync, meaning inifinite hard drive usage, and you can do almost nothing on them. :(

Gooberman

we had the latest Visual Basic program at our school and VB is fun xD VBS in notepad at school and just made fun things xD really fun

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Yes, our school uses Visual Basic 6.0

They also use McAfee for antivirus, have a crappy server that makes the computers constantly sync, meaning inifinite hard drive usage, and you can do almost nothing on them. :(

LoL tell your teachers to switch to something newer.Hell man there are 4 new versions of the Visual Basic by now and soon there is going to be the fiveth one!