Visual Basic

Moo2

What is the difference between Visual Basic 6.0 Professional and Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise? With the 700$ price difference I need to know.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The Enterprise Edition includes BackOffice Server 4.5 Developer Edition and other bonus materials, so that's why it costs much more.

Moo2

Recommendation?

Odd...Froogle listed that as $937....anyway, which would you recommend?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
You would need the Enterprise edition only if you want to build applications for large companies, where several users can access the same resources in the same time over the lan or over the internet.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Despite the fact that there are major language differences, the resulting software is almost the same regardless in what developing tool it was created.
I use Delphi because learned Pascal in the past and it's easier to me to use it.
But Basic is also enough to produce good software...

SFR

Truth fears no questions
RIGHT FROM MICROSOFTS VB website:

the enterprise edition has these things ontop of everything the pro edition has:

"Enterprise Visual Database Tools
View database tables and views, and modify data in any ODBC- or OLE DB-compliant database, and rapidly create SQL queries within the development environment. Visually design and modify database schemas and objects, including stored procedures, for SQL Server 6.5+ and Oracle 7.3.3+ databases.

Data Object wizard
Simplify the creation of COM-based data-access components and reduce your development time by automatically generating the necessary code to handle the interaction with stored procedures, data binding, and data display.

Native Alpha support
Build high-performance, scalable applications and components that run natively on DEC Alpha.

Transact SQL (TSQL) debugger
Interactively debug SQL Server 6.5+ stored procedures and triggers at the same time, and on the same workstation.

SQL Server 6.5 Developer Edition
Develop and test enterprise database applications with a scalable, high-performance database management system for systems based on Windows NT®.

Visual SourceSafe® 6.0
Use the Visual SourceSafe version control system to collaborate, share, and secure source code with your team for Windows-based and Web development"

..and Microsoft Visual Studio has all of VB plus C# J# C++ and a ton of other features....

Last edited:

Moo2

Vb6

I took a course on programming with Vb6.0, if I get enterprise edition, will i be completely lost?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
No, the basics are the same.
In Enterprise edition you'll have in addition a lot of extras that you'll need to learn how to use them (if you want to use them). But for writing simple programs it's enough what you have already learned.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I believe the core program is the same.. only the enterprise edition has more features.... just read up on those new features or just dont use them...

Like XP HOME and professional.... the start menu is till in the lower left corner... and the minimize maximize and close buttons are still in the upper right corner.... just a few extra features for those who can benefit from them.

Moo2

VB6.0 enterprise edition

Where can I find The enterprise edition for $200? The places i see it at have it priced at around $700-$900.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
There are some places that sell software too students for a cheaper price...

Microsoft has partnerships with many colleges and schools that can sell software cheap.. thats where I get mine...

I dont know if they have Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition (I will find out) but I know the upgrade version is about 700 or more and the full version could be even more

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I wouldn’t say C++ is more common everywhere... in terms of business corporations VB is very popular... its one of those things that businesses look for on a resume is VB.... and YOU know ..everything Microsoft makes is a "necessary skill" to learn... ... .. .. .

Moo2

Ok

Lets say i got VB 6.0 Profesional, but then for whatever reason, i wanted VB 6.0 enterprise, would i need to buy enterprise, or is there an update or something i could get?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I doubt there is an upgrade...

they are two seperate programs... upgrades are like VB pro 5.0 or whatever it is to VB pro 6.0

There really isnt any need for enterprise... did you read MY first post on this thread? do you really need any of those features?

...its a general practice for most people to buy stuff they have no need for...

There are times to buy more than u need ... but many times people by software or hardware that they dont need....

like CPU's for example.... almost nobody uses their CPU to the max... on the hardware side spend more money on RAM or a system board with more FSB memory than on the CPU...

...on the software side... buy what you need... THAT IS WHY COMPANIES make more than one version of a product.... UNLESS you have a direct need for the enterprise edition.. why spend the extra $500+ ?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
LOL verrona...

thats kinda.

ILLEGAL...

remember all of those kids being sued by the rich-@$$ musicians?

... think that is bad.. I wouldnt want BILL GATES after me!