Visual Basics (VBA) programming guides

Intel_man

VIP Member
Hey all. As part of studying engineering, I have to take a course on VBA coding (so I can create programs to calculate tedious stuff for me instead of doing it by hand).

Anyone here have any recommended guide "for dummies" on VBA that is available online?

Or any reference guides would work too.

strollin

If you use your favorite search engine and do a search on "VBA reference" or something similar, you'll find plenty of reference sites and tutorials.

Are you sure you need to learn VBA? VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is the macro language built-in to Microsoft Office. You may actually need to learn VB (Visual Basic) which is a stand alone language. They are very similar in construct but still different.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I find vba to be the type of thing where only ever learn as much as you need to make something work. Then promptly forget you ever did it.

If you take a vb6 tutorial, the vast majority of what you'd learn there will carry over to vba. Getting used to working with VB objects would be the most applicable I'd think. And of course the usual flow control stuff - subroutines, loops, ifs
Are you sure you need to learn VBA? VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is the macro language built-in to Microsoft Office
VBA is also what's used for .vbs files. Though all things being equal, if you were writing vbs scripts, I'd say forget it and learn powershell.

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you use your favorite search engine and do a search on "VBA reference" or something similar, you'll find plenty of reference sites and tutorials.
If that was the default answer to every question posted on this forum, there's no need for this forum. Post something useful or don't post at all.
Are you sure you need to learn VBA? VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is the macro language built-in to Microsoft Office.
Yea I'm pretty sure.
Personally I find vba to be the type of thing where only ever learn as much as you need to make something work. Then promptly forget you ever did it.
That's kinda where I'm at right now. Which is why I was asking for guides to refresh my mind on it. It's not the first time I've dealt with VBA, but it's been a few years.

strollin

If that was the default answer to every question posted on this forum, there's no need for this forum. Post something useful or don't post at all.
I absolutely posted something useful so will continue to post thank you.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I absolutely posted something useful
Like what? Telling me to google it? What does that give me? A whole swarm of meaningless guides. I could've done that without posting a thread here.

The purpose to ask here is to see if anyone's been in the position of where I'm at and based off of their experience, what specific guides they think is more useful and recommended it to me. Not just go google the tens of thousands of guides out there.

Grow up dude.

Darren

Staff member
Like what? Telling me to google it? What does that give me? A whole swarm of meaningless guides. I could've done that without posting a thread here.

The purpose to ask here is to see if anyone's been in the position of where I'm at and based off of their experience, what specific guides they think is more useful and recommended it to me. Not just go google the tens of thousands of guides out there.

Grow up dude.

Take it easy man. No need to get hostile with long time regulars over something trivial.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Take it easy man. No need to get hostile with long time regulars over something trivial.
His post might as well be a LMGTFY link. Which I may as well remind you is against forum rules.

Anyways,

Anyone with any guides for VBA? I'm asking because the ones my prof is providing sucks as they're coming from the engineering perspective and not from the coding perspective. Either because they expect us to know how to code already, or he's incompetent.

Last edited:

strollin

His post might as well be a LMGTFY link. Which I may as well remind you is against forum rules.

Anyways,

Anyone with any guides for VBA? I'm asking because the ones my prof is providing sucks as they're coming from the engineering perspective and not from the coding perspective. Either because they expect us to know how to code already, or he's incompetent.
You just hit the nail on the head as to why YOU should do your own search rather than ask others for their suggestions. In your original post, we (I) had no idea what level coding skill you have. A guide that I might find useful probably would not be useful to you. I might very well point you to similar guides that your prof provided you because they provide the info I need even though they may be over your skill level.

Intel_man

VIP Member
It's not a tutorial, but I use MSDN to lookup what I want to do https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/gg264383.aspx
Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at this.
. In your original post, we (I) had no idea what level coding skill you have. A guide that I might find useful probably would not be useful to you. I might very well point you to similar guides that your prof provided you because they provide the info I need even though they may be over your skill level
That's a horrible excuse you're using to justify "why don't you just google it." You could've asked for clarification, but instead, you decided to respond with a smartass comment.

strollin

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at this.

That's a horrible excuse you're using to justify "why don't you just google it." You could've asked for clarification, but instead, you decided to respond with a smartass comment.
You're the ONLY person in this thread being a smartass!