Voice recognition

malikah

I just thought I would type this sentence using voice recognition.

This is cool...

Obtain Vista today!

CPTMuller

Heh, I remember when they tried to demonstrate it live... EPIC FAIL...
Glad to hear that somebody liked it though =P

Respital

Heh, I remember when they tried to demonstrate it live... EPIC FAIL...
Glad to hear that somebody liked it though =P
Ha sounds like everyone there had either a big laugh or big disappointment. :D

This is cool...

Obtain Vista today!

Looks like normal text but i'm guessing it's suppose to.
What piece of hardware or mic are you using for this? :confused:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

This is cool...

Obtain Vista today!

I discovered it in Word a while ago. I spoke an english paper and then never used it again.

malikah

It's part of Vista - Speech Recognition. You can to tell it to do just about anything you can do with a mouse, including drag an icon across the screen. In one example, if you're on a web page you can tell it to "show numbers" and it will put a number on top of each link or window tab. Then you tell it the number of the item you want to click on and off you go. Or if you're on the desktop, you can tell it "start".. "all programs" or just tell it the program you want to run - "open notepad" for example..

It got quite a bit of bad press during a Microsoft presentation glitch but it was still in its early stages at that point. Infact I'm pretty blown away at how well it performs since they fixed it.

Conclusion: It's pretty fast for dictating paragraphs of text but not practical unless you're a slow typer or an amputee..

CPTMuller

It got quite a bit of bad press during a Microsoft presentation glitch but it was still in its early stages at that point. Infact I'm pretty blown away at how well it performs since they fixed it.

Conclusion: It's pretty fast for dictating paragraphs of text but not practical unless you're a slow typer or an amputee..

It is pretty neat, but I never could use it seriously... I can only imagine accidentally swearing under my breath in the middle of an essay only to have it turn up.

f.i.t.h

It is pretty neat, but I never could use it seriously... I can only imagine accidentally swearing under my breath in the middle of an essay only to have it turn up.
I believe that it censors swears.
At least on a demonstration here in NZ, the guy doing the demo said sh*t and it came up as shirt.