VoIP and internet

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I can use my modem (Cisco uBR 900) not only for internet, but for telephone conversations also (the modem has a phone-out jack where a regular phone is plugged in).
The problem is when I surf the net the voice quality of the phone conversation is very poor. But when there is no internet traffic the voice quality is excellent.
Is there a way to assign higher priority to the phone instead of internet? (I don't mind if the connection speed is lower when I talk on the phone.)

My ISP said that there is no way to do this and their advice was to shut down the internet connection when talking on the phone. :mad:
But this is the worst solution, since most of the time I'm on the net and my wife is on the phone (and she talks a lot)...

[tab]

[...]
I don't know if you can give your phone a higher priority on your modem, but you could try to shape your internet connection speed down while the phone is in use with something like Net Limiter...

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Thanks for the tip, the Netlimiter works great. Teoretically it would solve my problem...
But I don't understand why the voice quality is very poor if there is internet traffic regardless of bandwith (even 1 kb/s cause disruptions in conversation). The voice is ok only when there is no traffic at all...
So the only solution to this problem would be changing some settings in the modem. But how could I do that?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Thank you very much! It works!
Now the voice quality is perfect even when I have full internet traffic. Surprisingly the internet connection bandwith haven't shrinked at all, I have the same speed as before, even when talking on the phone... :D

yapintern

Hi everyone...has anyone else heard about the yapper?..from what I understand www.yapinternational.com has an absolutley incredible new dial up voip solution...I ve been told it works great....and you dont even need a computer or broadband connection!

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It's not new technology, couple of years ago there was a similar solution (don't remember exactly its name, it's something like Oblio).
And no need of separate equipment if you already have a computer and an internet connection... :)