VoIP Server

g4m3rof1337

Could I host my own free VoIP server?

Can I make it like a radio station and stuff?

Thanks

What I am looking for is an online radio station, that I stream and stuff.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
You could create one over a LAN, but I dont think you would be able to create one for others to use over the internet.

rbxslvr

You "could", but it would take a lot of work, and most likely, programming. And not Voip

Most online radio stations work with a .m3u file (playlist file). Inside that playlist file, there is 1 url linking to a small mp3 file. the mp3 file is 30-ish seconds long, and the next one is uploaded every 30-ish seconds... so the effect on the user end is a streaming station (because the m3u starts over when it reaches the end).

Where the programming would come in is where you hack up all of your audio into 30 second bits (in realtime) and upload them (programatically would be the only way to go). I listen to a radio station that uses 1`file in their m3u file, but sometimes it screws up... so if you do actually do what I just said, you could use 2 urls in your m3u and alternate with their uploading.

Example of .m3u file (from http://www.wklu.net/)

g4m3rof1337

Could I host my own free VoIP server?

Can I make it like a radio station and stuff?

Thanks

What I am looking for is an online radio station, that I stream and stuff.

I thought that would be helpful.

After I posted this I found out VoIP is with phones and stuff like Skype.

I misunderstood the defintion, from what a friend told me.

But What I want to do is make my own streaming live radio station.

Geoff

VIP Member
Oh ok. Have you downloaded Windows Media Encoder 9? It lets you select files you want to play, creates a playlist, and allows others to listen to it over a LAN or the internet.

g4m3rof1337

I haven't heard of that.

What feature allows me to play those play lists and have a live talk feature and stuff.

I want to be like an an actual radio station. But online.

Thanks

Geoff

VIP Member
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

That?

I installed the 32bit and 64bit and both said installed sucsessfully.

Where are they?

And this encoder will allow 3 people all online at once, talking, sharing play lists, with other listeners?

I was this to be an online live radio station with 3 DJ's.

Thanks.
The folder for WME9 should be located here: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder

You're changing around little things all the time so it's hard for me to know what exactly it is you want. If i'm understanding you right, you want to have an online radio station that lots of people can listen to, and have 3 people controlling it from accross the web? Most if not all online stations only have one central location where it's playing from. I guess if they wanted others to have access to it, they could just remote access into that PC over the web.

Platinum

I used to be an online DJ a few years back. Basically you need a server to run it from. Wow, I don't remember the name but you install some software to the server that users can connect to. Then (I used winamp) I downloaded an end user program that synced to the software on the server which then streamed it over an IP address people could connect to. Basically what I did was click a button to use my voice, and then uncheck it to switch back to music. And when no DJs were live, we would just check a box that would switch to a playlist we had on the server, and it would just automatically play a list of music until a new DJ signed on and took over. I'll post the name of the program if I can find it/remember it.

g4m3rof1337

Sweet.
Thanks.

Does the server always have to be on?

Cause I might use the computer I use to host LAN parties.

Thanks.