VPN and Not Simultaneously?

raoul_1101

Hello Computer Forum,

I was wondering if you could help me with something I would like to do, although, I am not entirely sure it is possible (that is, without going to extremes). Ideally, I would like to be able to VPN on one NIC, in order to get access to licenses, while using my other NIC not on a VPN for all other web traffic. The VPN client being used is Cisco AnyConnect 3.0.11042. Is this something that is achievable in Windows 8?

Ideally, I wouldn't like to set up routing rules, and was just looking to see if Windows supports this functionality without a huge amount of tweaking.

Thank you,
Raoul

robina_80

ive tried to VPN into my home machine from work,

you can have different variations of VPN's, most people stick with PPTP like i did

all you do is enable the VPN service on your router then you make a port forward rule, the port number and protocol you open for PPTP is "TCP" "1723" and point it to your computers IP ie 192.168.1.5

also if you have windows firewall on your computer make sure you allow this protocol and port open

once you have enabled the service and made a port forward rule on your router, you follow this guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esFMEcIPr0

hint - you press ALT on your keyboard to get the menu bar up

Agent Smith

I think this is called split tunneling. Here's what I have.
You also asked about split tunneling, so let's take a moment to explain that concept before walking through the process of creating a VPN connection. By default, when you create a VPN connection, Windows funnels all of the communications from your computer through the VPN. So, if you're logged into a corporate VPN from home to check your email, all of the other Web surfing you're doing on your computer is also being run through your corporate network. This is the default behavior because, from the company's point of view, it's the safest way and ensures all traffic is protected regardless of the destination.
You might not want this behavior, however, for a couple of reasons. First, it allows your company to inspect all of your personal Web traffic while connected to the VPN. Second, it will likely slow down your access to the Web, as everything must first be sent through the VPN.
Split tunneling, on the other hand, configures the VPN connection so that only traffic headed to computers on the corporate network is sent through the VPN connection. Other traffic leaving your computer goes out through your normal network connection.
Follow these steps to set up a VPN connection in Windows Vista that uses split tunneling:

1. From the Control Panel, choose "Network & Internet."
  2. Click "View Network Status and Tasks."
  3. Click "Manage Network Connections."
  4. Right-click on your VPN connection and select "Properties."
  5. Select the "Networking" tab.
  6. Highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP v4)."
  7. Click "Properties."
  8. Click "Advanced."
  9. Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" box.
  10. Click "OK" three times to close the windows you opened.
From that point forward, only traffic destined for your corporate network will be sent through the VPN. All other traffic will use the local network.
Another way of doing this is to create a virtual machine, VPN in the VM and use the host as a Internet gateway. You can download VMware Workstation for a free trial. Create a VM environment. When you do this you should have this in a folder with a vmdk file. Uninstall Workstation and install VMware Player. Point VMware Player to the VMDK file and presto, free VMware virtual machine. VM Player is free. At least it was the last time I looked.

Last edited:

raoul_1101

I think this is called split tunneling. Here's what I have.

This is exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm running 8.1 x64, and the network adapter is a Cisco AnyConnect adapter. Sadly, I don't have the option to uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" box. That box isn't there. However, now I at least have a keyword I can use to keep looking for an answer, thanks!

As for VMs, a good idea, but not the solution for me.

Thank you.