VPN Setup with Router

Hello Everyone,

I will try my best to ask what I need below.

Just say I go and pay for CactusVPN service, I want to setup that service with my router, is there a way to setup only a specific computer uses that VPN and everything else remain on my main connection?

Any information is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Denny

Geoff

VIP Member
The easiest solution would be to just configure the VPN on that computer, I haven't seen consumer routers with that level of control over VPN's. On that note, I don't think I've seen many consumer routers that let you connect to a VPN server either, most allow you to turn your router into a VPN server.

What protocol does that service use? If it requires special software it's not going to work, you would likely need it to support L2TP, PPTP, or OpenVPN.

beers

Staff member
As above, for a single PC why not just use the VPN client?

You could do things like put certain hosts in another subnet or VLAN and just match traffic from those sources to go over the VPN but your existing equipment won't be able to do this (and for your uses it would kind of be a waste of effort).

Agent Smith

Routers that support third party firmware such as DD-WRT and Tomato will allow you to use some VPN software that uses OpenVPN. I know of two: VPN.AC and AirVPN.

I don't know much about Vlans, but this is most likely what has to be configured for the computers you want to omit from using the VPN. Just be aware that most VPNs don't allow port forwarding. AirVPN does however.