Vpn

cdanik

I need a simple and free way to setup a vpn. My home network contains a router with several PC's behind it. I would like to connect my dad's PC to my home network via VPN, but I tried OpenVPN, and it was very complicated. Is there another way? I want this to be done with a cost of 0$.

Thanks!

Geoff

VIP Member
LogMeIn is a great piece of software for accessing computers remotely, but a VPN would allow his Dad's PC to act like it was on his network, meaning that if he went to view the network places, he would see various computers, printers, servers, etc listed there.

Homenet

You could setup a vpn on one of the machines on your network. if you go to network connections > new connection > advanced > accept incoming connections. You can then chose which users you allow to connect. You will have to allow the vpn passthrough on the router and also forward the correct port to the machine that is controlling the vpn. The one downside of this is that you will have to have the PC on whenever you want to allow your dad access.

cdanik

You could setup a vpn on one of the machines on your network. if you go to network connections > new connection > advanced > accept incoming connections. You can then chose which users you allow to connect. You will have to allow the vpn passthrough on the router and also forward the correct port to the machine that is controlling the vpn. The one downside of this is that you will have to have the PC on whenever you want to allow your dad access.

No problem, my computer is always on anyway. But, what port does that use by default? I Can setup the router, but I am not sure what port that would use. By doing this, this would make my dads computer act as if it was a computer connected to my network? I could view all of the shared folders in network places right? I would be able to access all of my shared folders on all of my PC's at home from my dads right?

Homenet

Yes you would be able to do all of that. My default it will setup a PPTP VPN which uses port 1723. just make sure pptp passthrough is enabled on your router and it shold work fine :)