VR connection ideas with this setup? - Related to video card I think

waveform

I was going to put this topic in accessories, but I think the technical side relates more to video processing:
I'll get right to the point because I'm getting a ton of different contrasting answers searching the net.

I'm using an MSI Z87-G45 GAMING board. I want to buy the Meta Quest 2 or maybe the 3. I don't have USB-C connectors on the PC. The guy at Best buy said, "even if you buy a USB-C to A connector, it's not going to give you the proper conversion performance." I've also read that you can NOT use an HDMI, or DP to USB-C connector because the Quest's don't support direct video connections anymore like the old ones did. The data is set via compressed packets to the Quest's (this I don't totally understand) It makes it sound like all the new mother boards today have a direct path from the USB-C controller right to the graphics cards.

My video card is a nVidea RTX 3060Ti, it has no usb, only DP and HDMI.
How can I make this work to get the video speed and the power source. I don't mind so much if it can't keep it charged as well, but the video can't be lagging.

Can someone please explained how this all works in simple terms?

Thank you.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Probably a little lethargic being on Haswell/Broadwell. 3060Ti will start to run out of legs in some titles without lowering settings.

The interface does some compression but A to C works pretty well even on a 5gbit USB3.0 port

waveform

I wonder if it would make a difference if a put in a USB PCIe card and connected to that like in the image below? I'm sure the limiting factor is the chip set architecture.
As far as the system performance for my games. All the 3d titles I have run smooth as glass. Witcher Witchhunt 3, the last two Doom versions, Wildlands, Breakpoint, ArmA 3, Destiny, GTA 5. Not a hickup. There's 32Gbs DDR3 in here and all the drives are Sata SSDs.

I don't understand why Meta would not put a second port on these for a direct Video connection like the old VRs. I know USB-C is the futures and transfers all protocols now, but it seems like a bad investment move on their part because there's a huge base of gammers that are not going to upgrade a system that's 3 or 4 years old just to buy a VR.

LinksTek 4-Ports PCIE USB 3.0 (3.1 GEN1) 5Gbps Expansion Card for Desktop PCs, 4X 5Gbps Max USB-C Ports

Attachments

• 71qZRvE4RgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71qZRvE4RgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1

Couriant

To be fair, USB-C came out in 2014... 10 years ago. Even then, it wasn't adopted more until about 6-8 years ago. Why Nvidia didn't put a USB-C port on the 3060Ti that was released in 2020 is not the fault of Meta. Technology changes and as end-users we should future proof our machines, or make the necessary changes as needed.

My question about the VR is does the USB-C ports need to be video enabled? I ran into an issue where my purchaser bought Dell machines with USB-C but did not indicate on the order it needed to be for video so the board did not have video-capable USB-C, only data.

waveform

I'm not trying to bad mouth Meta, I'm just saying. If you are going to sell something, why would you target a technology that's not going to be utilized for a while in homes. You even said, it's been out forever, and still not adopted. Not everyone is buying a new system. But I agree with you about nVidea. They probably didn't want the extra cost.

Couriant, from what I understand, the video pixel data from the Quest is sent via packets over Wifi. In that case, Wifi handles packets great, and at 5G it seems like it would be fast. The complex processing is still being done by the GPU on the graphics card, so why is USB an even a concern when you're just pushing compressed data along that's already been processed.. the main highlight of Wifi6 is that it's suppose to eliminate wires (in Theory) In the manual, Meta tells you to use their USB cord which is about 3 feet long - so they only intended their cable to be used for charging.

Secondly, Meta needs to pay more attention to using quality parts. I just got a Quest 2 lastnight and Wifi will not find an IP address on my 5G network, but works fine on the 2.4. I searched this on the internet and there's endless posts of people having the same problem. Everyone seems to be having issues with 5G networks and network disconnects. The Quest 2 Wifi is broke IMO. If video is being sent over Wifi, you need 5G for that faster speed and it has significantly lower latency. I have a new Wifi 6 router is works great on everything. So now I'm thinking of returning this Quest 2 and trying out the Quest 3 to see if things are better. Maybe they used better parts. From everything I've read, they have NOT provided a solution to this issue for any of the posts out there.

Last edited: