[vr-zone] Nvidia Geforce GTX 400 set for extremely thin availability

just a noob

Source

No one expects either the Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 or the GTX 480 to be available in any significant quantity come 12th April. Even optimistic rumours have placed the worldwide availability at 30,000 units. Nvidia themselves informed reviewers that the GTX 400 products will be available in >10000 units.

SemiAccurate, who have been accurate with most information regarding to Fermi/GF100, are now claiming the actual quantity is way lower. Even lower than their initial expectation of 8,000 units.

The rumour suggests two major AICs have allocated less than 100 cards for entire Europe. Clearly, with such numbers, Nvidia is falling far short of anything resembling availability.

All indications - the delays, the missed targets, the disabled units, further delays, abysmal thermals - suggest that GF100 is indeed too ambitious for manufacturing on a 40nm process. There is no doubt the GF100 chips, now in their A3 revision, aren't yielding well. SemiAccurate stand by their now ancient claims of sub-20% yields.

We are 4 days away from the long anticipated date - 12th April. It will be interesting to see how long the cards last in distribution channel, and at what prices? If Nvidia do make the 12th April availability dates, and these rumours are true, it is likely there will be no cards left by the 13th of April.

sniperchang

Well one thing that NVIDIA did that really gets me mad, is that physx is totally disabled on their cards if any non-nvidia graphics card is present on the system. And that isn't a technical issue, they did this on purpose so people would be forced to buy nvidias if they want secondary cards to do physx.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I am actually thinking about buying an ATI card for the first time in over a decade...WOW Nvidia...not sure what to say right now.

Well one thing that NVIDIA did that really gets me mad, is that physx is totally disabled on their cards if any non-nvidia graphics card is present on the system. And that isn't a technical issue, they did this on purpose so people would be forced to buy nvidias if they want secondary cards to do physx.

Well like duh...Nvidia owns physx, they bought the technology. They own the rights to it.

Ford makes the Mustang, other companies can't make Mustangs or use Mustangs. Kinda the exact same thing right.

If you want physx you have to buy Nvidia.

Last edited:

Ryeong

utennavnd.png

Weird, there is 268 available of Gainward GTX 480 here..

There is also 60-70 MSI and 78 Evga too...

4199 Norwegian kroner = 713.5 U.S. dollars, and included shipping = 736 dollars.

sniperchang

[...]
Well like duh...Nvidia owns physx, they bought the technology. They own the rights to it.

Ford makes the Mustang, other companies can't make Mustangs or use Mustangs. Kinda the exact same thing right.

If you want physx you have to buy Nvidia.

What I meant is if you have a NVIDIA card and an ATI card in your system, you can't enable physx on the NVIDIA card just because of the presence of the ATI.

I guess in analogy, if you buy a mustang and you buy a Honda, the mustang disables a cylinder and kills some of the horse power because you bought a "non-ford" car. It's that ridiculous!

bomberboysk

What I meant is if you have a NVIDIA card and an ATI card in your system, you can't enable physx on the NVIDIA card just because of the presence of the ATI.

I guess in analogy, if you buy a mustang and you buy a Honda, the mustang disables a cylinder and kills some of the horse power because you bought a "non-ford" car. It's that ridiculous!
No, by using the ati graphics card in a system, nvidia does not have to provide you with physx support. There are ways around this, but we won't discuss that here.

sniperchang

No, by using the ati graphics card in a system, nvidia does not have to provide you with physx support.

Sure, they don't have to support physx at all!

I'm just saying that by disabling physx, and refusing to support physx in a system with non-nvidia card (as you pointed out), NVIDIA has loss some appeal. To me anyway.

EDIT: Also, I understand they can say that physx is not supported, because of potential software issues, etc. However, they don't even let us try, the drivers just disable physx and that's it.

Last edited:

Gabe63

They are showing up locally, I tired a few places that had them for a few minutes. Stores are receiving 1-2 cards in the SF Bay Area. Some stores sell at list some over (480).

New egg has several GTX470 's as of a few minutes ago.

Ryeong

I recently posted a pic, and i honestly dont understad how there can be few GTX 470-480's in europe.. why?`I mean, there are at least 1000 available in total when i sum up from the "three" different websites i usually use to buy hardware in Norway. That excludes stores etc..

Edit: Gainward has a HUGE amount available this month. Evga and MSI has less..

Gabe63

They are available locally. I found the GTX 470 for $350 and the GTX 480 for $550. I could not see the extra $200 for the 480... So I bought these today.
IMG_7340.jpg

If you want to see the heatsink inside the 470 take a look. Let me tell you this card does run hot. I did not monitor the temps but it heated my case, MOBO and others cards up after 1 quick race of NFSS on low res.

IMG_7341.jpg

Aastii

VIP Member
I recently posted a pic, and i honestly dont understad how there can be few GTX 470-480's in europe.. why?`I mean, there are at least 1000 available in total when i sum up from the "three" different websites i usually use to buy hardware in Norway. That excludes stores etc..

Edit: Gainward has a HUGE amount available this month. Evga and MSI has less..

I can think of 2 reasons (neither are true, just potential suggestions)

1. The source saying only a few for europe isn't true. Am I right in understanding those figures are from semi-acurate, which are quite often accurate, but not always?

2. Much like how server companies were allowing preorders of dedi servers for MW2 before release, then there weren't any, distributers are saying they expect to have a few hundred in stock from what MSI, Evga and Gainward tell them, but when it comes to the time that they are released, they will have nowhere near that number

spynoodle

I can't believe they aren't highly available yet. I just want somebody to post a benchmark on www.videocardbenchmark.net. It's not that there aren't already a bunch of benchmarks elsewhere, but I just like to see the newest ones on that site for some reason. It shows that at least somebody who benches cards on that site bought one. :)