WIndows 10 VST hardware: mATX Motherboard, Onboard graphics, RAM and CPU

TheJay

Hello, I've got a problem as the motherboard I was going to use doesn't boot despite trying many different fixes. My only conclusion is that it's a faulty onboard graphics chip.

My plan was to use the following hardware to run a VST for eDrums with Superior Drummer 3:

Asus M3A78-CM Motherboard with aP II X6 1090T CPU, 4X2GB 8GB DDR2 PC2-8500U 1066MHz 240Pin DIMM RAM with a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD

I'm faced with a dilemma now as I would like multiple USB 3 ports and need to decide whether I get an identical motherboard, upgrade the motherboard to the best spec that the CPU will fit in (potentially having to get more RAM that is compatible) or upgrade everything (in which case I don't know what to go for). Whichever way we go, I need onboard graphics and a PCI slot.

I don't want to spend loads/more than absolutely necessary. I thought having a six core CPU would be good but have read Intel can do better with less cores and there are less latency/buffer problems with Intel CPUs.

I'm trying to build a system that will operate on Windows 10 64 bit and be running continuously (do want it to be economical in terms of power usage but then be up to the demands when pushed).

Can anyone please share their thoughts?

OmniDyne

I'm faced with a dilemma now as I would like multiple USB 3 ports and need to decide whether I get an identical motherboard, upgrade the motherboard to the best spec that the CPU will fit in (potentially having to get more RAM that is compatible) or upgrade everything (in which case I don't know what to go for). Whichever way we go, I need onboard graphics and a PCI slot

That hardware is quite old. Purchasing the same motherboard or a different motherboard with the same socket may be expensive, or not worth the cost.

What is your budget for a new system?

What do you mean you need onboard graphics?

What will you use the PCI slot for?

I don't want to spend loads/more than absolutely necessary. I thought having a six core CPU would be good but have read Intel can do better with less cores and there are less latency/buffer problems with Intel CPUs.

Choosing AMD or Intel at this point in time will largely depend on your budget. You will probably want 16 gigs of RAM.

TheJay

Thanks for your reply.

M-Audio Audiophile 192 AP192K High-Definition PCI Audio Card

I have an mATX case and am going to use a 2.6 FT PCI-E Express X1 to Dual PCI Riser Extend Adapter Card With USB 3.0 Cable to fit the card inside the case and feed the audio cables through the front of the case.

If the above works, I don't need a PCI slot. I'd like to have two PCIe slots if possible.

I'm thinking of spending around £350. I'm thinking of getting an AMD AM4 3400g. I'd like a display port and a decent number of USB 3 ports. 16gb of DDR RAM.

I noticed mATX boards don't tend to have WiFi and Bluetooth built in so also need to figure that out too. Preferably something that can be hidden inside the case.

TheJay

Hey Cisco, thanks for your reply.

CiT S012B Slim Micro ATX/ITX Case for 300W Power Supply Unit with Built In Card Reader

I can wait for a new board, what's the deal with it?

TheJay

Ah these boards don't support CPUs with built in GPUs? Deal breaker.

If it can take a AMD Ryzen™ 5 3400G with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics I'll wait because the main advantage is faster data transfer with PCIe 4.0 support on these new boards.

Available from 16th June...

Last edited:

Cisco001

Main reason is B550 motherboard will support CPU in future generation.
Also, Ryzen 5 3400G seems out of stock in most retailer.

OmniDyne

I have an mATX case and am going to use a 2.6 FT PCI-E Express X1 to Dual PCI Riser Extend Adapter Card With USB 3.0 Cable to fit the card inside the case and feed the audio cables through the front of the

Just curious, why are you doing this?

Main reason is B550 motherboard will support CPU in future generation.

I don't feel as if this matters much, if at all, to be honest. If he buys a decent processor now, there's no reason to upgrade again until the next socket comes out. Future proofing, especially for low or mid range, doesn't make much sense. It's not cost effective.

@TheJay how many USB port do you actually need? PCIe 4.0 isn't going to benefit you at all.

How old is the power supply?

If you want a motherboard with a lot of USB ports and WIFI + Bluetooth, you're going to have to need to increase your budget, unless you can find decent deals on used hardware.

Last edited:

TheJay

You are right, I'm not worried about future proofing as hardware requirements don't change much over time for VST software like Superior Drummer 3.

I have a full size M-Audio Audiophile 192 AP192K High-Definition PCI Audio Card W Cables that doesn't fit in the case if mounted conventionally, plus mostotherboards don't have a PCI slot any more. As this machine is going to be dedicated to playing eDrums, I wanted a small case and having cables coming out the front wouldn't be bad as they will come through a slot designed for a push style CD drive like you get in a car.

I spent a long time looking at cases before going for the CiT S012B Slim Micro ATX/ITX Case with its own 300W Power Supply Unit with Built In Card Reader because it's compact and has built in multimedia reader. I realise this is creating problems for me but I don't want anything bigger, I actually have an empty tower case but it's too big and isn't going to fit where I need the machine to go.

I don't need lots of USB 3 ports but it doesn't make sense to get a brand new board with so few up-to-date ports. It's really strange in my eyes.

I need an mATX or ITX board. I am prepared to use additional hardware for WiFi and Bluetooth but really want dual band up to 5ghz WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0 to get the quickest available speeds. These tend to require USB 3, I want any USB 3 device offering these inside the case. For example, Beverl WiFi Adapter, 1200 Mbps USB 3.0 Wireless WiFi Adapter Dongle Dual Band Bluetooth 5.0 Built-in Dual Antenna. This is pretty cool: JMT USB 3.1 Front Panel Socket to USB 3.0 20Pin Header Male Extension Cable Adapter for Motherboard Card 20P USB to TYPE-E Connector.

I need an internal USB 3 header for the multimedia panel and WiFi/Bluetooth dongle.

Then there are lots of options if not worrying about built in WiFi and Bluetooth.

Last edited: