W.D. MAX SEAGate question

BruceY

I recently was in a mom pop computer parts store in the market for a new 80gig hard drive. Why you ask only 80gig? Well because thats all thats needed.
ANYHOW the store owner said he had western digital IDE 80gig on hand. He could within a day or two get a Maxtor or Seagate IDE 80 hard drive. Ok I said get me a Maxtor then. Now he said the wester digital hard drive is about 1" thick. The Maxtor and Seagate are 1/2 as thick and run HOTTER compared to the W.D. due to their small size. I was trying to shy away from W.D. but am now double thinking my approach to which one to get.:confused:

ANY TRUTH TO THE MAX AND SEAGATE DRIVES RUNNING HOTTER?

CURRENT pc reprograming on hold till I hear

Thank You Bruce

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Every desktop maxtor, seagate and WD drive I've come accross is the same thickness. I've got 2 seagate drives (320 and 120GB) and neither one runs hot.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
It really doesn't matter whether a drive runs hotter by nature or not; they're designed to perform the best within a certain temperature range, if a drive runs hotter it's designed to run hotter. As a matter of fact, drives are more likely to fail at room temperatures than their specified operating temperatures (usually between 35 and 45 degrees celcius).