W10 download or by w10 DVD?

I'm going to buy W10 on DVD or try the free download. I know I must have W7 in place to download W10 but, If I buy the W10 DVD can I install it on another PC with Vista or XP.

Or to get W10 I must have W7 or earlier?
I have several old PCs I'm trying to keep up to date in case of a crash or problem, I can just swap PCs and keep things going without a hitch.
Thanks

Darren

Staff member
Will the W10 DVD work on XP or Vista?

As a safe rule anything that came with XP will not run 10. Vista based machines typically won't either without some work on the driver front and can be hit or miss. If you're on either of these aged platforms and really earlier 7 era stuff, you just need a new machine. Installing 10 is asking for problems.

strollin

Windows 7 does NOT need to be installed in order to install Win 10. All you need is the Win 7 license key (and that's only needed in order to activate). Just do a clean install using the MS Media Creation tool and enter the Win 7 license key when prompted.

lccrocks

One thing to note is that you have to input a license key before downloading via microsoft.com. However, you can use those tricks/tools to download any Windows ISO without limitation, such as Heidoc and rufus.

Last edited: