waiting for dx10

should i wait to upgrade from 6600gt until directx 10 is released or should i get a 7800gtx now im able to play oblivion on medeum and fear on meduem and quake and doom on high and not many games will eb released that will require much more performence thats is y i am wondering if i shoudl wait

Last edited:

mrjack

VIP Member
I read somewhere about the G80 cards being released around September or November and the R600 cards a bit after that.

Geoff

VIP Member
Well personally I think upgrading to a 7800GTX would be pretty stupid, I would upgrade to a 7900GT/GTX.

I would hold off on upgrading, since you have a decent card now there isnt much need to upgrade now and then again in a few months.

mAJORgAMER

I have a 6800 gt and i feel the need to upgrade too but instead i will upgrade my cpu soon. Im heard the G80 series will be availaible before windows vista.

And there's no nned to get it before vista comes out cuz it wont work on Xp.

thealmightyone

Don't upgrade as such. If your computer currently handles what you do on it fine/great, then simply save your cash up.

What I'll do is when Vista's been out for a while, and all the major, newly found bugs are sorted out, I'll build a new machine, using one of the G80 cards, a Core 2 Duo of course, and Vista. Might be worth you (and others) considering to do.

speedyink

VIP Member
My plan is to wait for the DX10 cards. My card is pretty much on par with yours, and I can play any game I want on at least 1024x768 on medium - high settings, and I see no point in upgrading until the DX10 cards come out (which is when I plan on buying a 8600GT, or whatever it will be called).
mAJORgAMER, are you serious that the DX10 cards won't work on XP? whats the point of them coming out before Vista then???

Geoff

VIP Member
speedyink said:
mAJORgAMER, are you serious that the DX10 cards won't work on XP? whats the point of them coming out before Vista then???
They should work in XP, just run at DX9 level. However DX10 will never be made for Windows XP.

fade2green514

well, i kind of figure upgrading just before a new operating system is kind of pointless. i got my 7900gtx for free (upgrade from 7800gt) recently because my uncle gave me it as a grad present.
wait until after vista is out to buy a new video card.

iherd theer is highbrid models available and all u will have to do is patch it to worck with vista and is theer any speculation on what tehse cards will be like in price range if i save until then i could have up to a 1000 for a card and i wouldnt be looking at buildign a new system anytiem sonn because i just got this setup altho i do plan on upgrading my cpu because i bough ta 939 socket board so would it just be beter to upgrade that to a lets say 4400+x2 after july 28

Last edited:

spamdos

also i would consider your computer as well so you do not end up with a bottleneck, if you were to wait for dx10 cards and get a good one, then you would probably need a new comp

spamdos said:
also i would consider your computer as well so you do not end up with a bottleneck, if you were to wait for dx10 cards and get a good one, then you would probably need a new comp
this is my new comp im just going to get a beter cpu my mobo is socket 939 and the nvidia nforce 4 chipset is directx compatible aswell as vista compatible all amd cpu are direct 10 and vista compatible so i wil lupgrade my cpu as i just got this one to keep teh price of teh build down and get a 4400+x2 is my plan instead of a new videocard and my system wil lbe fine then and not have anybotle necking as my mobo is 939 and i have 1.5 gig ram in duelchannel and my cpu will be upgraded and i will be fine once the dx10 cards come out i will pucrchase one but still kep my old one as dx10 cards are nto backwards compatible with dx9 games it is teh first oen that will not be backwards compatible and i will then pucrhase vista so no there will not be anybotle necking and this is a 3 week old system so new system is out of question i think my plan works fine corect me if im wrong

spamdos

yeah i think that that is a good idea, i was just throwing the idea out there, that you may want to upgrade at least the processor in the future for dx10

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
from tomshardware
That said, our sweet spot for the Nvidia GeForce 7 series is the 7900GT. It gives the best overall experience for enthusiast gamers at the lowest relative cost. Many people think of Vista and DirectX 10 now, but The best gaming you will have for the time being is with the cards that are on the market now. If you are sitting on the fence you should not only consider what you are saving by waiting for the next great card, but also the cost of missing out on what you could experience now.