Wake on LAN over WAN

WeApOn

EDIT -- Almost solved. Here is my current status --

I've got almost everything working, and I know all I need is to establish a static ARP entry for my IP, but it seems my Verizon FIOS router doesn't have that ability.

I'm hoping someone will read this thread and think of another thing I could do. I don't think a static NAT would work, right?
I think the key here is that I need an ARP entry so my router knows how to communicate with my PC via IP when it is off.

Last edited:

tremmor

ports ya using did ya open the ports on internal or external firewall. I would turn it off for firewall while playing and get it working first. Then start firewall and open ports.

jspears80

You did open the ports on the router to forward the address to the computer you want WOL? Wiki Wake on Lan if you haven't already.

WeApOn

Yeah, I've opened all those ports and forwarded it to the correct PC. Gonna try to use wireshark to see if the packet is getting to the PC while it's on, or if it's getting dropped at the FIOS box.

WeApOn

So I've tested with Wireshark now, and I see that the packet is making it to my PC. I'm getting this message within Wireshark:

Destination unreachable(port unreachable)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
When over WAN you are sending the message through to your external IP address, correct?

WeApOn

In doing some research, it seems like the request can't get to my PC while it's off because my router doesn't have an ARP entry for it.

I've seen other users have to create a manual ARP entry so the router knows the IP-MAC info when the PC is off.

However I don't believe my router has this capability (it is a Verizon FIOS router). Would a static NAT be of any use here?

Basically, I need some sort of hand-off to send the WOL packet to my PC, since it can't get there over WAN when it's off.

Any ideas?

tremmor

My guess is your talking about LOM (lights out management). Ive had it working before in the past. Say be overseas or another state and turn the computer on. Then access and turn it off.
My Intel supports it and tried it but replaced with SSD. never reinstalled or set up in bios.
RealVNC utility does it but motherboard has to support it. But not free.

WeApOn

Sort of, yes. It's really just sending a WoL packet over the internet using something like this:

http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx

I've got everything working, and I know all I need is to establish a static ARP entry for my IP, but it seems my Verizon FIOS router doesn't have that ability.

I'm hoping someone will read this thread and think of another thing I could do. I don't think a static NAT would work, right?
I think the key here is that I need an ARP entry so my router knows how to communicate with my PC via IP when it is off.