Want to buy a comp under $1,000

bowlindude66

I want to buy a gaming computer for $1,000 or less with out tax. I want 40 gigs of memory and 1 gig of RAM. I don't know much else. The bigges games i will be playing is Sims 2 and Everquest 2. I want windows. I don't need a good sound card.

Edit:
Double CD Drives would be nice. No DVD though.

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I hope you don't plan to build it... No offence but I think that would be over you head.

40G is nothing compared to what some games take. I'd suggest at least 80G, and maybe even another drive for additional storage. And I'd also suggest a DVD-ROM if anything as many games do come out on DVDs.

My suggestion would be go to some local computer shop and see what they have to offer. Their equipment is usally much better than what you'd get from say Dell.

NyRoN

i got my system for around $1200 after tax...monitor and speakers included...that would be from Gateway...only drawback is that it uses a P4...not really for gaming too much

NyRoN

check out the emachines T6520...you're looking for something like that...it's only $600 w/out monitor...and has some cool specs like a 64 3400+

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Sorry if it sounds like I was putting you down...I wasn't trying ^^;

emachines? Eh, I had one by them some time ago. Their more expensive machines seem ok, but their cheap ones are junk. But, I guess most companies are like that...

As I mentioned in our chat, I'd look for some little computer shop and see if they have some comps they built. Typically, they have better parts in them...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Double CD Drives would be nice. No DVD though
Given the price of a basic DVDROM, you might as well consider it (it's not much more than a CDRW drive and event those arent that expensive). Furthermore, future games will tend to be DVD based

40G is nothing compared to what some games take.
Conveniently enough Everquest2 and Sims2 will fit within 40GB

AMD Athlon64 3200+ [OPN ADA3200DAA4BP] $190
MSI Neo4 Platinum $125
OCz ValueSeries 2x512 PC3200 CL2.5 $80
WD 40GB 8MB SATA $55
XClio 450BL 450W PSU 12V32A $50
LiteOn 52x32x52 $20
LiteOn 16X DVDROM $20
FujiPlus 6600GT 128MB $155
Subtotal = $695

Well below your budget range and a more than respectable system :) Add $50 or whatnot for a case that you like and yer set

Last edited:

NyRoN

that true^^^

but that's because their cheaper machines run on celeron and dont have any good hardware to back it up...but their systems using the Athlon 64's seem to be nice...and have some cool specs...

but this dude has got a good point...go to a nearby shop and check out some stuff...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but that's because their cheaper machines run on celeron and dont have any good hardware to back it up...
Just cuz its cheap doesnt mean it's packing cheap parts :)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I know the games will fit on a 40G :p Just most people aren't too concervative(though neither is windows :rolleyes: ) and 40G just won't cut it much anymore... Of course you can get by with it, but I could see the desire for more in the furture. Besides, for a few bucks more you could upgrade to say a 60 or 80 :rolleyes:

Praetor said:
Just cuz its cheap doesnt mean it's packing cheap parts :)
Well it sure ran like it was. Man, my great uncle got a Dell with a Celeron 2.4GHz and I swear my T-Bird 1.4 was many...MANY times faster! Much more stable too.