Want to clean and resell old hard drive

diddlydudette

Hi,

I just sold my old HDX16 HP laptop but took the hard drive out.

Is there a way I can take my info off of it and resell the hard drive on Ebay?

It is a 500GB WD50000BEVT Dated Dec. 9, 2008.

Is it even worth selling?

Thanks.

diddlydudette

Darik Nuke-Eraser-Killdisk

Thanks but if I'm not mistaken, I'd need the actual computer and I sold that. I only have the hard drive. (I had to google what you suggested).

I'm technically challenged to be honest but I try to learn so forgive me if I don't know all the terminology.

Christian Darrall

You can always try to connect the hard drive to another computer VIA usb. google laptop hdd to USB, once its connected you can try a windows format. which should remove the data, but for a small cost on your part.

i believe your looking for a 2.5inch IDE to usb converter (i maybe wrong tho)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You can use Killdisk and connect the drive into your current PC and wipe it. No need for the original computer.

Christian Darrall

well he hasnt got the laptop anymore has he? so he will need a laptop with a spare hdd space wouldnt he?

he just has the hard drive.

Christian Darrall

theres always one :( his got a hard drive he wants formatted. he hasnt got the laptop but must have a computer to log onto here to ask a question? now without having an adapter to connect it to the PC how is he going to format it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't need an adapter. Laptop hard drives connect to regular desktop computers the same way desktop hard drives do. SATA power and SATA data cables.

diddlydudette

Thanks guys.

I have a new laptop and I also have a desktop.

I took the hard drive out of the laptop and it's just sitting around. I was going to destroy it but thought I'd see if I could take my info off of it somehow and sell it on Ebay as it looked like they were selling for about 50.00. Figured I could make about 30 after all the fees. lol

So I would need an adapter. I don't feel comfortable going into existing computers and messing with the hard drives. I'll look on Ebay and see of some cheap adapters that I can hook up the hard drive to the computer. If too expensive, I'll just destroy it.

Thanks everyone.

Okedokey

theres always one :( his got a hard drive he wants formatted. he hasnt got the laptop but must have a computer to log onto here to ask a question? now without having an adapter to connect it to the PC how is he going to format it?

John beat me to it, but its usually better to check your facts before being a smart ####.

Okedokey

Thanks guys.

I have a new laptop and I also have a desktop.

I took the hard drive out of the laptop and it's just sitting around. I was going to destroy it but thought I'd see if I could take my info off of it somehow and sell it on Ebay as it looked like they were selling for about 50.00. Figured I could make about 30 after all the fees. lol

So I would need an adapter. I don't feel comfortable going into existing computers and messing with the hard drives. I'll look on Ebay and see of some cheap adapters that I can hook up the hard drive to the computer. If too expensive, I'll just destroy it.

Thanks everyone.

Its just a sata cable and power cable. You just want to connect it to a spare SATA port on the PC and then navigate to it like you would any other drive.