Want to upgrade, need some advice

EberWolf

I built my system about 3 years ago, did some minor upgrades, but I'd like to do more.

Here's what I have:

P4 2.53, 512 mb ram, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 mb, 40 & 120 gb HD, Sound Blaster audigy,DVD-rom, DVD/CD RW,

I've been playing computer games for the last 22 years. That was and still is the main purpose for my machine.

I'm pretty sure my MB can handle up to a 3ghz cpu. Unfortunately the paperwork is 2800 miles away in storage. I tried looking for some markings on the board but without pulling it all out I can't see anything. I've been out of the loop for so long I'm not sure what way to go. I.E. most bang for the buck if possible. Or maybe a MB combo setup.

Any advice would be great, or even some direction on how to ID my MB.

Just got Sisoft, MB is a intel D850EMV2 with twin 256 sticks of RDRAM RIMM PC1066-34, max is 2GB

Jim

Last edited:

KillermilleR

hey man I love your box, love the rambus most. Now that MB would support any intel pentium 4/ celeron processor in a mPGA478 socket. You just have to look at the cpu's specs. NOt sure if it can support hyper threading though, check the intel web site!!!
Go for a cpu wit at least 1mb l2 cache!!

EberWolf

The total cost 3 years ago was 1000$ even. That included the shipping of all the items. I built it entirely off of pricewatch.

From the looks of it I can double my 1066 RDRAM to 1 gig for about 200$. 2 gig is my MB's limit.

From the looks 512K L2 Cache is the max I can go with my MB. And I can get into a 3.06 GHz for a little more than the RDRam.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure my mb can handle up to a 3GHz cpu. Unfortunately the paperwork is 2800 miles away in storage. I tried looking for some markings on the board but without pulling it all out I can't see anything. I've been out of the loop for so long I'm not sure what way to go. I. E. Most bang for the buck if possible. Or maybe a mb combo setup.
for starters you'll need to figure out what mobo you've got (or at the very least, The chipset) . . . A quick tool to do that is cpuz

just gotsisoft Sandra, Mb is a Intel d850emv2 with twin 256 sticks of RDRAM rimm PC1066-34, Max is2gb
this is the bad news. Your mobo series has been discontinued (im guessing i850) in favor of DDR and recently, DDR2 boards. The most you can upgrade to is the [discontinued] Northwooda processor

go for a cpu wit at least 1mb l2cache!!
good luck getting a Prescott on a rambus board. .

EberWolf

I went thru the intel site. Got a laugh at the remark "this document for this MB is for historical purpose only".

I also looked around and I found a few people who still sell the cpu's and mamory for my system.

So here's the question. Of the two what would be more benificial to upgrade right now, the CPU or the Ram?