wanting to build a desk top computer genearaly for gaming? what OS should I look at?

kala83

I am thinking of starting on building my first computer along with the help of some friends that are more knowledgeable about these kinds of things. I am primarily thinking of using this for gamin so I can free up some space on my lap top I am just wondering what OS I should look at for this, I was kind of thinking of getting a Mac....just cuz I am slightly curious about those computers but I was also considering Ubuntu or XP any advise you all could give would be wonderful.
I am not terribly knowledgeable on computer so I am thinking through the process of this project I'll be askin a lot of questions.

!!!Daniel!!!

agreed. no games support the Mac OS..... Vista im not so sure about 64-bit, i cant play any games on my

dads desktop cause his computer is running vista and it uses to much RAM and graphics so games are

pretty much useless aswell. unless you can build a really good machine....BIG RAM, Lots of graphics and it

should run ok.

Im running 2.6 Dual Core with XP Pro and i haven't found a game that does not run good on it.

Havnt read much on the 64-bit wheather it can run games better than 32-bit.

buy vista home premium 64 bit, yes vista eats up ram but if your building yourself a new computer ram prices are very low, vista uses up a little bit less then 1 gig for itsself, 1 gig of ram is about 10 bucks i would buy 3 gigs minimum for a gamming computer,

kala83

I would consider getting Vista but I really am not to thrilled about the idea of doing that just because I know one of the game I own that I want to run simply will not work on a computer with vista computer. I have absolutely no idea why, cuz suppousidly there re patches one can get and download to make it run on a vista computer but so far I have found no ways of making this work correctly so I think I am going to try probably an XP, will probably end up using this computer for school work as well....but other then that thats primarily what i am looking at for my goals as of right now.
the game I am having issues with is Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines in case anyone may have been wondering

Irishwhistle

I would consider getting Vista but I really am not to thrilled about the idea of doing that just because I know one of the game I own that I want to run simply will not work on a computer with vista computer. I have absolutely no idea why, cuz suppousidly there re patches one can get and download to make it run on a vista computer but so far I have found no ways of making this work correctly so I think I am going to try probably an XP, will probably end up using this computer for school work as well....but other then that thats primarily what i am looking at for my goals as of right now.
the game I am having issues with is Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines in case anyone may have been wondering

Just realize that you can't get DirectX 10 on XP... that's why Vista is so much better for gaming.

Twist86

Well if your making a gaming system then 2x2GB DDR2 sticks are like 30-40 bucks....on sales after rebate can be as low as 20 bucks so its REAL easy to get enough ram for Vista.

90% of the issues with Vista is morons that read "vista sucks" then run in the streets screaming it. Its like terrorism...you say it enough and people believe it.

Also for the price Vista Ultimate sucks...a simple Home x64 is just as good and cheaper. I only use Ultimate because buddy at works at a PC shop and got his hands on some free copies from his boss.