Wanting to upgrade to SSD

0bAm3

I have a 1tb hard drive in my computer and it works fine most of the time but the problem is that its too slow to read and i wanted to upgrade to ssd. but there is a big problem in my way (besides price). i dont know how to move the data from a hard drive to an SSD. i heard somewhere than i can use both hard drive and ssd but i dont know how to do that either.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If this is a desktop system, its pretty easy to add an SSD. You would actually just want to reinstall windows to it and use the 1tb drive for a data drive. If this is a laptop, you would have to either clone existing to SSD or as before reinstall windows fresh and copy over any data you need from the 1tb drive. What exact computer do you have?

gillmanjr

Do you have a copy of windows on disk that you can re-install or was this a pre-built computer? If you built the computer and you have your own copy of windows I would suggest just starting fresh with a re-install of windows on the SSD. You would also have to back up all your files onto a thumb drive or external drive (or a cloud service). Then you would have to re-install all your software/programs as well. Its time consuming but worth it. If that isn't an option for you you will have to install the SSD, clone your HDD onto your SSD, and then remove the HDD.

0bAm3

it was pre-built desktop computer built by cyberpowerpc.
CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB
RAM: 8GB DDR4 SDRAM (around 3000 MHz)
HDD: WD10EZEX | 7200 RPM | Serial ATA-600 (1tb)
Motherboard: MSI B250M BAZOOKA

Agent Smith

1) Attach SSD to extra SATA port in computer.

2) Install and run AOMEI Backupper.

3) Chose the clone option.

4) Chose the source as your current 1 TB hard drive

5) Chose the destination as the SSD.

6) Select to align option. You don't need to copy sector by sector.

7) Wait for clone to complete. Once complete power off computer. Uninstall 1 TB platter drive and install SSD to the main SATA I cable. Boot computer. You're done.

I've done this many times. Even with USB sticks and a netbook.

Notes:

You will need to purchase a 1 TB SSD unless you are not using 1 TB. If you are only using say, 220 GB, than a 256-500 GB SSD is all you need.

Some anti-virus software mistakenly reports AOMEI Backupper as malware. It's a false positive. This is what I have heard on other forums.