Wasted HDD Space

kreg

I have a 160G SATA Seagate. When installing OS, it gave me told me that i need to create a partition that doesnt use all of hd (or something), so i did. it said that when OS was installed, i would have all 160G back. However, when i look at HD now, it says its only 149. whats up with that? :confused:

Johnnyboy0056

well, actually a partition will not let u use about 1-2 gb of space, probably less....no matter what hdd u buy. and as for the rest of your missing gb, well....the os took it. :)

run4it

why do hard drives do that anyways? i only get to use 93% of my drives. whats that extra space being used for?

Johnnyboy0056

well the parition separates the hard drive space. if u had, say, a 160gb hard drive and created a partition of 0 gb, well, u wouldnt be creating a partition because there has to be something on both sides of the partition. so of course the partition is minimal, but IS necessary.

ViperGTS19801

Actually, since noone here seems to know the REAL answer, I will give it to you.

When most HDD's ship, they are rated for GB = 1,000MB. However, Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, consider 1,024MB to be 1GB. Hence, you basically get raped for your lunchmoney with that last 24MB. Unless they are sepcifically designed to avoid that, an (X)GB hard drive, will ALWAYS show up as less than that when you look at the properties of the drive in Windows.

As for how Mac handles hard drives...ah, who cares?

Johnnyboy0056

no, your not getting raped....you still get the space, its just you dont see it because of the number conversion. This simply means microsoft xp for example will say you have less gbs than you hd sticker says because microsoft uses a higher number in their division, but you still get all of the gb ur promised. u still use those extra 24 mb of every gig.

run4it

ok, i didin't even think about that even though i knew that that happens on blank dvd media too. a 4.7 gb disc is actually closer to 4.3 gb